September 4, 2018
Forsaken is the third major expansion for Destiny 2.
- 1 Description
- 2 Overview
- 3 Appearances
- 4 Features
- 5 Editions
- 6 Exclusive and bonus content
- 7 Marketing
- 8 Development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 References
The Reef has fallen to lawlessness, and now the most-wanted criminals in the galaxy - the Barons & Uldren Sov - have organized a jailbreak at the Prison of Elders. You and Cayde-6 have been sent in to bring law and order back to the embattled facility, but things do not go to plan. Facing insurmountable odds, Cayde-6 ends up paying the ultimate price. Beyond the Vanguard’s authority, you’ll venture into the Reef alone and take justice into your own hands. Explore new regions, awaken new powers, earn a wealth of new weapons, and uncover lost Awoken secrets. The hunt is on.
The expansion takes place in the Reef. The story revolves around a massive Fallen breakout from the Prison of Elders by a house of rogue undead Fallen pirates known as the Scorn, who are led by Uldren Sov, former prince and traitor to the Reef. Cayde-6 has been murdered by Uldren, and it is up to the Guardian to avenge his death. In the campaign, the Guardian must work alongside Petra Venj to hunt down the eight Barons who lead the Scorn, culminating in the discovery of the mysterious Awoken homeland known as the Dreaming City. The expansion's plot is non-linear, and its missions can be tackled in any order. The missions consist of hunting down the Scorn Barons. After doing this, players receive access to the expansion's finale, where they confront Uldren.
Vehicles, Equipment, and Technology
Weapons and Armor
- New bow and arrow weapon
- One new super for each Guardian subclass
- New Fallen enemy faction, the Scorn
- Two new Destinations, the Dreaming City, and the Tangled Shore
- New Raid
- New story campaign
- 4 new Strikes (1 PS4-exclusive)
- New Gambit cooperative PvEvP activity
- New Breakthrough PvP activity
- New gear to uncover
Guardian Subclasses & changes
- There are nine different supers added with this expansion: one to each individual Guardian subclass.
- Brand new weapons and armor to uncover.
- New Crucible maps
- Baron Hunts
New Gambit Maps
- Emerald Coast, EDZ, Earth
- Legion's Folly, Arcadian Valley, Nessus
- Kell's Grave, Tangled Shore, The Reef
- Forsaken Standard Edition
- Forsaken w/Annual Pass
- Forsaken Digital Deluxe Edition w/Annual Pass
Exclusive and bonus content
- PS4-exclusive Strike, armor sets, ship, and exotic weapon
- Wavesplitter - Exotic trace rifle
- Broodhold - a strike in the Tangled Shore
- Thorium Holt - Legendary armor set (Warlock)
- Red Moon Phantom Legendary armor set (Hunter)
- Mimetic Savior Legendary armor set (Titan)
- The Great Beyond - Legendary ship
Early on, the developers decided that for Forsaken, they wanted to tell a story with high stakes, but make it personal. This led to the idea of the Guardian making a choice and seeking revenge. Cayde-6 was decided as the character to be killed off to spur this. After this was decided upon, this became central to the expansion's narrative and motifs of a western atmosphere and lawless frontier.
Forsaken is designed to have a darker tone than previous instalments in the series, taking the series in a darker and more serious direction. However, it has been noted that future stories in the universe won't necessarily be as dark as Forsaken itself. The name "Forsaken" refers to multiple elements within the story. Uldren is forsaken. The player's Guardian has becomes forsaken by the Vanguard during their journey. The Dreaming City was forsaken by the Awoken at some point.
- Forsaken is the first content in Destiny that has not only normal death animations, but elemental death animations.
- ^ Polygon - Destiny 2: Forsaken arrives Sept. 4, here’s our first look
- ^ a b Kotaku - Destiny 2's Next Expansion Is Changing A Lot
- ^ Polygon - Destiny 2: Forsaken’s campaign is Mega Man mixed with zombies
- ^ a b Eurogamer - Bungie says Destiny 2 expansion Forsaken really does kill Cayde for good
- ^ Games Radar - Cayde-6 is 100% definitely dead forever in Destiny 2 Forsaken, so start preparing yourselves
- ^ IGN - DESTINY 2'S CAYDE-6 IS REALLY, TRULY DEAD, SAYS BUNGIE
- ^ Game Informer #104: At the Crossroads