- "We once looked to the Moon and saw hope. Now we see only the power of the Darkness."
- —Grimoire description.
Length of day:
29 days, 12 hours and 44 minutes
The Moon is Earth's only natural satellite. Like most bodies in the Solar System, the Moon is littered with the debris of humanity's Golden Age. The surface of the Moon appears to be shattered, with giant rifts in the ground and massive chunks tilted upward. The Hive were buried for centuries within the moon, growing stronger within the core, with some minor Fallen presence on the surface.
- "We gave up the Moon to keep the Hive away from Earth. We hoped that would be enough for them."
During the Golden Age, the Moon served as an outpost for supporting humanity's colonies across the system. The remains of an Accelerator and Moonbase can be found, used to deliver supplies to the colonies. The moon once housed a thriving human colony of interconnected bases, but now only broken domes and scattered space suits half-buried in the lunar soil mark humanity's faded dominance.
After the Collapse, the Moon was overrun by the Hive. Guardians attempted to take back the Moon in a disastrous battle that resulted in thousands of Guardians slain by Crota. Exploration efforts were repulsed, reporting increased enemy activity, and even strange tectonic phenomenon. and the moon is currently classified as a Forbidden Zone, accessible only to the most experienced Guardians. The forces of the Hive have now fully infested Earth's satellite, and pieces of the surface have cracked and broken off into space. An iconic view of the looming Earth hangs in the skybox, but Guardians would be wise to keep their eyes closer to the ground. A massive fortress known as the Hellmouth gapes open where the Hive have begun their dig, and sprawling networks of caves and fortified strongpoints wait inside. On the surface of the Moon, forgotten treasure hide in the dust.
The recent discovery of the Hive's deployment of Hive seeders on Earth, launched from the Moon, has forced the Vanguard to rescind their decision to principally avoid Lunar territory. Fearing further incursion, the Vanguard have begun sanctioning strikes against key Hive personnel and assets.
- The Dark Beyond
- The World's Grave
- Sword of Crota
- Chamber of Night
- Shrine of Oryx
- The Wakening (The Dark Below)
- Last Rites (The Taken King)
- Lost to Light (The Taken King)
- The Summoning Pits
- The Shadow Thief (House of Wolves)
- Blighted Chalice (April Update)
- The Abomination Heist (Rise of Iron)
- Mare Cognitum
- Mare Imbrium
- Ocean of Storms (Destination)
- Anchor of Light (Public location)
- Archer's Line (Public location)
- Temple of Crota
- Hellmouth (Public location)
- Traitor's Ketch
- The Cauldron (Crucible map)
- "The fight to take back all that has been lost, begins here."
List of appearances
- ^ Official Destiny Gameplay Trailer: The Moon
- ^ Bungie : The Moon
- ^ Bungie: The Moon
- ^ Game Informer January 2014, page 52
- ^ Gamespot - Destiny Players Will Still Find "Lots of Compelling Stuff to Do" Months After Launch