- "These are our worlds...Take them back. Inch by inch. Bullet by bullet."
- —Grimoire blurb.
Patrol (a.k.a. Explore) is a game mode of Destiny. These missions are open-ended and focused on exploration. Players touch down in an open area and are able to explore at will, along with taking on tasks assigned to them. Minerals and other resources can be found that can be used on weapons and armor. This is a "lower intensity" game mode compared to others, as there are no Darkness Zones or other penalties for death.
Players can bring with them a fireteam with two other people, but can also encounter other players while on patrol. Patrols are useful for gathering miscellaneous loot such as materials, consumables, hidden chests, or rewards for exploration missions. Missions can be acquired on patrol by locating and activating beacons, and are always available.
Activating a patrol beacon will enable Guardians to complete simple missions for a small reward of experience and reputation.
- Scan—go to a certain location and have Ghost scan an object.
- Item—collect drops from a certain type of enemy.
- Survey—go to a certain location and scout out a group of enemies.
- Kill—kill a set number of enemies.
- VIP—kill a specific enemy found in a private location (typically a named major or minor).
- Energy Spike—collect energy beacons to reach 100% charge before your charge slowly drains to 0%. Players can overcharge for a maximum of five levels for maximum payoff.
- Neutralize Taken Blight—go to a certain location and fend off waves of Taken.
- Quarantine—kill a specific enemy at a certain location, then go to a second location and fend off enemy waves.
If the player has completed several patrol missions, they can receive a mystery transmission where the player has to figure out how to unscramble a message (such as doing an emote, kill enemies, getting headshots, etcetera). The player is given an encrypted prompt on what they have to do and must figure it out for themselves.
Though not strictly limited to Patrol mode, Public Events always occur in public areas, usually following a predictable schedule. Only players who participate in the event while it is available will earn any rewards. Performance in Public Events is scored as Bronze, Silver, or Gold, and rewards are automatically granted to players upon completion.
Some events, such as Blade of Crota summons, Queen's Wrath "Wolf Packs", and Taken Lieutenant attacks, can occur in Patrol mode as well, but they are not scored and their timing is random. These events are colloquially known among players as "World Events".
- ^ The Guardian: how the makers of Halo plan to change the future of shooters
- ^ NeoGaf : Destiny Alpha Gameplay Leaks
- ^ Youtube: Secret Hidden PATROL MISSION - "Red Reckoning" "The First Mystery" - The Taken King