- "You Acolytes, lead your Thrall in battle. Take enough killing to feed your worm, and a little more to grow, and take the tithe of the Thrall you lead. Then tithe the remainder to the Knight or Wizard who commands you. Thus you pay tribute."
- — Oryx, the Taken King
- "Belief is a powerful weapon."
- — Grimoire description.
They utilize firearms and strategy to counter their enemy, coordinating with other Hive to destroy their targets. Unlike the lesser Thralls who act with little sense of self-preservation, Acolytes actively utilize cover to avoid incoming fire from enemies. If they survive long enough they become Wizards if female or Knights if Male.
Acolytes are basic enemies that are mostly seen behind cover. They occasionally pop out to fire off some shots at the player, forcing them to retreat. However, they lack in defenses, and as such can easily be killed by small arms fire. The best strategy would be to separate an Acolyte from their piece of cover and leave them exposed to incoming damage. This can be done by tossing a grenade in their general direction to flush them out, followed by shooting them with your primary weapon or rushing forward for a melee attack.
Acolytes gain the ability to summon and throw grenade-like incendiary explosives, but are otherwise unchanged.
- Acolyte of Balwûr
- Anointed Acolyte
- Ascendant Acolyte
- Chosen Acolyte
- Hallowed Acolyte
- Revenant Acolyte
- Acolytes were originally called "Troopers." "Acolyte" was the de facto term by Destiny's alpha.
- Given the Hive's odd biology, it may be that all Acolytes are biologically sterile females, as common to most eusocial species.
A Blood of Oryx Acolyte with a Shredder.
A Spawn of Crota Acolyte.
A Silent Brood Acolyte.
A Savathûn's Hive Acolyte.
A Grasp of Nokris Acolyte.
List of appearances
- Bungie (2014-6-12) Destiny: Alpha PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard.
- Game Informer January 2014, page 55
- Official Destiny Gameplay Trailer: The Moon