- "Six of us went down into the pit. Only one crawled out. I am Eris, the last. I have seen what the Hive call a god."
- "My role among the Hidden is an honor."
"None would argue. But it's had its cost. Your place is to gather the understanding we need to wage these wars, but your own war is long done. Let those prepared to fight, fight."
"And should they die?"
"None who walk these Towers is afraid..."
- —Eris and Ikora Rey
Eris was one of six Guardians who descended into the Hellmouth to kill the Hive god Crota in revenge for the deaths of thousands of Guardians who had tried to reclaim the Moon during The Great Disaster. Though the other five members of her fireteam, Eriana-3, Toland, the Shattered, Omar Agah, Vell Tarlowe, and Sai Mota, died during the venture and her own Ghost was lost, Eris managed to survive in the Hellmouth's shadowy warrens for years. She eventually returned to the Tower alive, but changed. Her obsession with Crota made her a pariah back at the Tower, but though the Speaker and Commander Zavala believe her obsession is unhealthy, Ikora Rey secretly employed her as a member of the Hidden to infiltrate and keep watch on the activities of the Darkness. Though she works for Ikora, she also reports to Osiris and Mara Sov.
Eris claims that after the Hive took her eyes, she replaced them with those of a Hive enemy, third eye included. Apparently that was not enough, though, as one of the tasks she sends the player on is to obtain the eyes of The Forsaken for some undisclosed purpose.
With Crota's death, Eris turned her attention to his master, Oryx, and for this purpose she turned to the Queen of the Reef for help.  Together they formed a plan to defeat Oryx; the Awoken would prevent his fleet from entering the inner system, while Eris would help the Guardians enter the Dreadnaught and kill Oryx. She is one of the guides in The Taken King, and among the first to detect the threat of the Taken. Cayde-6 likes to refer to her as his "creepy sidekick" in their efforts to stop Oryx, much to her immense annoyance. When Eris finds out that her ship was destroyed in Cayde's mission to board the Dreadnaught, she is enraged at Cayde for the loss. Despite her anger, she still works with him to help bring down Oryx. However, once Oryx is defeated permanently, she refuses to let go of her anger. By the time of the Festival of the Lost, she is still mad at Cayde despite his attempts to earn her forgiveness. She refuses to forgive him unless her ship is returned..
- "You saved us all. Your sacrifice—"
"I am still here. My sacrifice was—"
"And I should ask new heroes to fall... as they did?"
"It is why we were reborn in the Light.""
- —Ikora Rey and Eris
Players must speak to Eris to unlock the Story Missions and Will of Crota strike in The Dark Below, as she is the story agent for the expansion. Besides offering quests, Eris offers her own bounties and has her own reputation stat. She sells unique shaders, emblems, class items, and a few upgrade materials specific to the expansion.
When The Dark Below is obtained, Eris will hand over a quest line called the Rise of Crota. After completing the quest and its missions, Eris will award you with the legendary fusion rifle Murmur. Eris will give you two quest lines, The Extermination and the Urn of Sacrifice. The Extermination will award you with the Mark of the Duskborn, Cloak of the Dusktorn, or "Curse of the Hidden" depending on your class. The Urn of Sacrifice will award you with Knightbone Guard, Acolyte Rung, or Thrallskin Brace depending on your class.
Available items for purchase depends on what level of reputation the player has with her. Unlike many other vendors, she sells upgrade materials and ammo synthesis in exchange for Black Wax Idols.
|1||Dark Harvest (Emblem; 1000 glimmer)|
|2|| Sigil of Night (Emblem, 1000 glimmer)|
Predawne (Shader, 1500 glimmer)
Class Items (2500 glimmer)
|3|| Blade of Crota (Emblem, 1000 glimmer)|
Middaye (Shader, 1500 glimmer)
|4|| Sunsetting (Shader, 1500 glimmer)|
Class Items (2500 glimmer)
|3|| Runed Core (5 Black Wax Idol)|
Embalming Orb (10 Black Wax Idol)
Special Ammo Synthesis (2 Black Wax Idol)
Heavy Ammo Synthesis (5 Black Wax Idol)
|4|| Radiant Shard (500 glimmer, 1 Black Wax Idol, 1 Radiant Energy)|
Radiant Energy (500 glimmer, 1 Black Wax Idol, 1 Radiant Shard)
- "One little, two little, three little Hive. You killed so many, now none are alive."
- "His father won't forgive us for this... Oryx will come for us."
- "My eyes I was born with are down in that pit buried in the Guardian that I once was."
- "We are bonded forever Guardian."
- "You delivered us all from my suffering."
- "You must tell me how Crota looked as he died."
- "Be vigilant, listen for the name Oryx."
- "You give me hope."
- "The Guardians who fell can sleep now, thanks to you."
- "They took my Light, I took their eyes."
- "I felt it the moment Crota died."
- "Vengeance is yours."
- "Now you know my suffering."
- "You will be remembered."
- "Crota is dead."
- "So many years lost but it was all worthwhile."
- "I wish I could have been there to witness Crota's fall."
- "There is nothing you can't do now Guardian."
- "The Temple of Crota rages at your offense Guardian, rages at your light."
- "She still listens, I've told her what you've done."
- "Go! Haunt them! As they haunted me!"
- "What have they done to you? What horrors have you seen?"
- "The abominations protect what they value."
- "The father remains, we will need you again."
- "You finished what we started."
- "Have you faced the Swarm?"
- "The Spawn of Crota. Have you seen them?"
- "Crota's tomb is unhinged."
- "I never hoped. I never dared to dream that Crota could be killed."
- "In you, Guardian, I have found redemption."
- "Yes, I can tell that you have been tested... Now things will become interesting."
- "The eyes I ripped from them can see further than the eyes that I lost, the visions haunt me."
- "When the Hive took my eyes, I took theirs in return."
- "I wonder, do the Hive fear your Light?"
- "The emerald flame, I can still feel its heat."
- "His wrath could end worlds, but his father... I cannot imagine his wrath... The stars will weep."
- "What if the Prince had Brothers? Sisters? I never considered that."
- "An eye for an eye you see? They took one, but I took three."
- "The city sleeps Guardian, the Hive do not."
- "You haven't seen Darkness... Not yet."
- "The City's walls are not shelter, they are a mask to cover our fear."
- "They took my light... I took their eyes."
- "The third eye sees more keen in the dark."
- "In the end I spent more years with the Hive than the Guardians I fought with."
- "I was right... I was right all along... I wasn't mad."
- "With its dying breath, the Traveler created Ghosts... to open doors."
- "All things are possible now."
- "Finish it!"
- "How long has it been since I lost her?"
- "I hope the Speaker knows what you've done."
- "I never believed it could be done."
- "I thought we'd lost you."
- "I wish I weren't the only one left to see what you've done."
- "Ikora understands. She's the only one who understands. Without her, I'd be alone."
- "It gets better. You get used to the pain."
- "It will soon be over. One way or another."
- "No one else can do what must be done."
- "Omnigul is dead, the Will is broken."
- "Such a brave light. Prepare yourself for what comes next."
- "Tell everyone: if you aren't hunting Crota, you're just killing time until he gets here."
- "The soul is banished, but Crota still lives."
- "You are changed, Guardian."
- "You honor the names of those who fell."
- "You've defeated his Will, but the body remains."
- "How long have the Hive been on our Moon? No time according to their standards. Imagine the kings of their worlds."
- "I am bidden to grant you dried fruit candies."
- "Oryx still lives."
- "Am I supposed to celebrate death? It's a time of mourning our lost, yet everyone is... smiling. Candy will not save you! Sugar is a fickle friend. People say I am disturbing." (sighs) "Happy Festival of the Lost, I suppose."
- Eris is the goddess of discord in Greek mythology.
- During the Festival of the Lost, Eris gives the player the item Tiny Box of Raisins, instead of the candy given by all other vendors. The raisins seemed useless and could only be discarded. As of update 2.4.1 they became Ascendant Raisins and grant a Grimoire card to those who still have them. In their place the player is given Piece of Celery.
List of appearances
- ^ YouTube - Destiny The Dark Below DLC Trailer (PS4/Xbox One)
- ^ Bungie (2014/9/9), Destiny, PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Crota's Bane
- ^ Bungie (2015/9/15), Destiny: The Taken King, PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: The Road to King's Fall
- ^ Bungie (2015/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves, PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Ghost Fragment: The Queen 2
- ^ Bungie (2015/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves, PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Ghost Fragment: The Reef
- ^ Eurogamer: The Taken King is the Expansion Destiny has been waiting for
- ^ Youtube: The Taken King Reveal Teaser - Destiny Year 2
- ^ Bungie (2016/10/24), Destiny: Rise of Iron, PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Festival of the Lost: Underwatch
- ^ YouTube: Official Destiny: Festival of the Lost Trailer