From Destinypedia, the Destiny wiki
|“||The Queen rewards those who take up her cause, and take down her enemies.||”|
|Political and military information|
Second Queen's Wrath
Acting Regent-Commander Petra Venj is an Awoken warrior in the service of Queen Mara Sov. A former Corsair and a sworn member of the Royal Awoken Guard, Petra Venj spent years in the Last City on Earth as the Queen's Emissary. She has been serving as Queen's Wrath since the death of Sjur Eido, and was named the Acting Regent-Commander after the Queen's disappearance in the Battle of Saturn, becoming the de facto leader of the Awoken in the Reef. In Destiny, Petra Venj can be found in the Vestian Outpost. In Destiny 2, she acts as the destination vendor for the Dreaming City.
The Reef Wars
- "My lady, I offer again the only explanation I can: I did not know the Guardians would act as they did. All I had known, all I had ever known, were the ways of the Awoken."
- — Petra Venj
Petra was raised on Amethyst by the Techeuns. At some point she started training to become a Techeun herself but found it very difficult, especially after her sister Pinar became a trainee herself. Petra felt she was being treated unfairly by one of the oldest of the Coven, Imar, and could see the rift between her and her sister only widen as Pinar made progress in her training and Petra stayed behind. She eventually quit the training, and Pinar went on to become the Coven Leader. Petra later questioned her decision, especially after Pinar's death, wondering if that way she would have been able to still find her late sister somewhere in a dream. Even though never finished, her knowledge from the years of training allowed Petra to understand and advise young trainees Ylaia, Sjari and Austyn many years later.
When the settlement was attacked and razed by the Silent Fang during the Reef Wars, resulting in the deaths of Petra's sisters, Petra became one of the Queen's Corsairs out of a desire for revenge. She made a name for herself during the Hildean Campaign as an accomplished soldier. Her pride eventually led her to make a devastating career failure; during the hunt for Veliniks, the Ravenous, she called in an airstrike that resulted in the death of three strike teams of Guardians.
With City-Reef relations deteriorating, Queen Mara demoted Petra to Emissary and exiled her to the Last City. Petra was uncomfortable living in the City, regarding its inhabitants as ignorant of their place in the world. After years of exile, she pleaded with the Queen to end her exile and allow her to return to the Reef.
Following the death of Sjur Eido, Petra Venj attended a ceremony organized by the Queen in the Dreaming City where she was promoted as the new Queen's Wrath. During the ceremony, Paladin Fen was visibly upset as he and several other Paladins felt Petra was not worthy of the post, considering her too young and inexperienced to replace Sjur Eido and believing that another Paladin should have received the honor instead.
The Wolf Rebellion
Hunting the Wolves
- "Last week I was delivering court messages. Today, we're delivering explosions! I love fieldwork! Get after them, Guardian."
- — Petra
After the Queen aided a Guardian in acquiring a Vex Gate Lord's eye to enter the Black Garden, Petra was allowed to return to the Reef. She was stationed at the Vestian Outpost to serve as an emissary between Guardians visiting the Reef and the Queen. She met with the Guardian who the Queen had aided and tasked them with killing Draksis, the Kell of the House of Winter and a thorn in the side of both the Reef and Last City. While the Guardian was accomplishing that task, Skolas escaped from the Nine and broke many of his followers out of the Prison of Elders. Most of the House of Wolves then rebelled against Queen Mara and fled the Reef. Petra was stunned by the return of Skolas, noting that Queen Mara had assured the Reef that he would never be seen again. The Queen ordered Petra to report to Uldren Sov to see what his Crows had learned, and Petra vowed not to rest until the hunt for Skolas was done.
When the Guardian returned after killing Draksis, Petra informed them of the rebellion and ordered them to head to Venus to prevent Skolas from taking control of the now leaderless House of Winter. Despite the circumstances, the hunt for the Wolves invigorated Petra, and she was eager to oversee the operation to take down Skolas. She directed the Guardian to destroy the House of Winter's heavy artillery to prevent the Wolves from utilizing it. The Guardian discovered Skolas had subjected the House of Winter already, and found him making a speech. Petra ordered Variks to translate, and he informed them that Skolas had declared himself Kell of Kells. Skolas managed to escape, but a number of his followers were killed by the Guardian. Petra detected a mysterious Vex signal amongst the Fallen and ordered the Guardian to return to the Reef. She reported these events to the Queen, who was displeased that Skolas had escaped and earned the loyalty of another Fallen house, but Petra assured the Queen she had a plan to track down Skolas.
Petra asked the Guardian to gather shiplinks from Fallen Vandals on Venus, which Variks then used to track the Silent Fang to the Cosmodrome on Earth, where they were hunting the leadership of the House of Devils to make their takeover easier. She dispatched the Guardian to eliminate the Fang, working with Variks to guide the Guardian to them. As they did so, Petra explained her own history with the Fang and speculated that they had helped Skolas escape, but wondered how they could have freed him from The Nine. Once the contingent of Fang sent to eliminate the leadership of the Devils was exterminated, Petra congratulated the Guardian and informed them that she bet Skolas would attempt to recruit the House of Kings next. Although the Fang were weakened, they were not compleately eliminated, and Petra was ordered to set bounties on the remaining members by the Queen.
Traveling to the Hull of Crows, Petra met with Prince Uldren Sov, Paladin Yasmin Eld, and Techeun Shuro Chi to discuss what the Wolves and Kings were planning. Uldren revealed that two King Barons, Vekis and Paskin, had been sent to meet with the Wolf Baron Yavek, but was certain that the Kings would never bow to Skolas. Petra was skeptical of the Prince's certainty, wondering what would happen if Skolas somehow proved to or tricked the Kings into believing he was the Kell of Kells. The Prince dismissed her concern and claimed nothing short of the Traveler proclaiming Skolas Kell of Kells would blunt the Kings' ambition, and Petra noted that he seemed to admire them. Petra asked if she could place bounties on the King Barons, but Uldren suspected they would do their work for them, guessing that the King Barons were actually assassins as the Kell of Kings would never bow before Skolas. When the Guardian arrived on Earth to halt the meeting, Petra lost communication with them due to the Wolves High Servitor's jamming. However, the Guardian successfully eliminated the jammers and killed all three Fallen Barons during their meeting on Earth. Petra noted that while this was a major blow to Skolas, the House of Kings was still powerful despite losing two Barons.
Showdown on Venus
- "This isn't just a hunt. A Fallen House with Vex technology is a threat to the whole system."
- — Petra
Petra soon received a report from the Crows that Skolas and the Wolves had retreated back to Venus and were fighting the Vex. She also began to gain a great deal of trust in Variks, and enjoyed running the operations with him. Petra questioned Variks if there were any other Fallen Houses in the system that Skolas would try to recruit. He noted the Exiles on the Moon followed no one and would remain independent. She then asked about the House of Rain that Variks had mentioned when discussing the prophecy about the Kell of Kells, and he informed her that the House was destroyed in the Whirlwind and that only he kept their records and prophecies. Variks revealed that few had tried to become Kell of Kells, with House Judgement being the closest to peace the Fallen knew, and Petra joked that maybe he was the true Kell of Kells.
When the Guardian returned to the Reef, Petra informed them that the Wolves were now on the run and losing forces and directed them to speak with Variks for their next assignment. Upon discovering that Skolas and his followers were attempting to break into the Vault of Glass, Petra believed that the Kell had either gone insane or had a terrible plan in the works, either of which meant that they had to end the Wolf Rebellion quickly. The Guardian prevented the Fallen from using Oracles in the Vault as a tap into the Vex network, although Petra and Variks agreed that the hunt for Skolas had to end now before he acquired Vex technology and became a threat to the entire system. When the Guardian returned to the Vestian Outpost, Petra admitted that despite the severity of the situation this was the most fun she had in years.
Tracking Skolas to the top of the Vex Citadel on Venus, Petra was ordered by Queen Mara to have the would-be Kell of Kells captured alive. Petra stood by with a task force of Crows to capture Skolas once the Guardian subdued him. As the Guardian fought to reach Skolas, Petra and Variks speculated about the Kell's intentions, with Petra believing he wished to outfit the House of Wolves with Vex weaponry. When they found Skolas at the top of the Citadel, they realized he was attempting to bring all of the House of Wolves from across time into the present. The Guardian managed to defeat Skolas, and Petra arrived and captured the broken Kell and informed the Guardian the Queen had a message for them. Once Mara finished thanking the Guardian, Petra commented that she almost felt sorry for Skolas' future "conversation" with the Queen. She left to deliver Skolas to the Queen and asked the Guardian to meet her in the Reef to be rewarded. Upon their arrival, Petra thanked the Guardian for their work and was pleased with how fun the hunt was. She awarded the Guardian with a Vestian Dynasty as thanks and prepared to return to the field once more, and also swore that she would work together with them again in the future.
The Taken War
- "Petra, wanted to wait. To be sure. Taken are searching. Seeking out wreckage of Awoken Fleet. Wreckage of the Queen's flagship. They seek survivors. Oryx believes not all Awoken were slain that day. Some may yet live"
- — Variks, secure comm signal to Petra Venj
In preparation to challenge Oryx, the Taken King, Queen Mara Sov spoke to Petra Venj regarding the Awoken fleet and the state of their Wolfships captured from the House of Wolves. Petra informed her that they only had twelve Galliots and Kaliks-Syn was still operational. Now designated as Regent-Commander by the Queen, Petra is instructed to place Paladin Hallam Fen in charge of civilian defense and Kamala Rior to conduct a SAR run.
Following the defeat of the Awoken Fleet at the hands of Oryx, a grief-ridden Petra was appointed to the position of Acting Regent-Commander of the Reef in the wake of Queen Mara Sov's apparent death. Paladin Rior sent an encoded message to Petra Venj regarding Saturn's thirteenth moon, Telesto, where a cloud of Harbinger-matter had collated. Included in the report was a list of Reef leadership killed in action; Paladin Rior advised Petra to withhold declaring their deaths until further information was gathered.
She would then go on to assist Variks by gifting him the Crows surveillance network and send a fireteam of Guardians to track down the last remaining holdouts of the House of Wolves. The Wolves took advantage of the Cabal's crippling losses against Oryx by settling on Mars and taking over strongholds once belonging to the Blind Legion.
Petra would aid them by sending radio messages of the Cabal legions mobilizing across the planet's surface. When discovering the Wolves where on Mars, Petra tells the Guardians to eliminate them. Petra informs them that the Wolves managed to slip pass the outer defenses and set up a perimeter around a confluence. There it is discovered the the Wolves rebuilt their old Servitor god, Orbiks Prime, who is quickly eliminated by the Guardians to the appraisal of Petra.
Later she offered bounties to the Guardians against Taken leaders and troops. One such bounty was the Hunt for Irxori, Lost to Oryx who Petra noted to have gone missing during the Reef Wars, but returned as a Taken. She also sent the Guardians into the Dreadnaught to kill even more Taken and refused to believe that the Queen was dead.
Regent of the Reef
- "You are the Wrath, now. You are the last hope for your people. Trust the Guardians, trust the Vanguard. And you will find your salvation beyond this moment."
- — Eris Morn, message to Petra Venj
Leadership of the Reef proved difficult: the politics were troublesome, the Techeuns did not trust her, and assassination attempts occurred frequently enough to require their own section in Crow files.
As Petra's reign as Regent-Commander continued, Rior became opposed to her rule. After Paladin Leona Bryl requested that Petra officially take over as Queen, Rior informed Petra that if she took the throne, Rior would have no choice but to take her fleet and leave the Reef.
Petra was eventually contacted by Cayde, who proposed bringing Zavala to the Reef for an audience with Petra so that he could present a proposal to them. Despite her distaste for Zavala, Petra agreed to the request, although she fantasized about different ways to kill the stoic Titan as she waited for them to arrive.
As they entered, Petra attempted to imitate Mara's laid-back attitude, but doing so caused her grief to well up and choke on her words. Zavala ignored this initial greeting to finish a comment to Cayde about how the chaos of the Fallen fighting in the Reef was providing the Last City time to rebuild before then greeting Petra. Infuriated by this comment and believing that the Reef had long served to guard Earth and its people, Petra barely granted permission for Cayde to put forth his proposal. The Exo eagerly jumped in between the building tension between Petra and Zavala, explaining that he was attempting to consolidate all of humanity at the Last City, having brought many isolated groups from across Earth there since the Red War, and that he wanted the Reef Awoken to join them, believing that they could not survive much longer on their own.
Zavala questioned if Petra even had the power to do that, and she angrily stated that she did despite his best efforts, declaring that he refused to acknowledge how the City's actions had driven Hive, Fallen, and Cabal into the Reef and sowed chaos. Petra then informed Zavala that Mara had hated him and branded him a traitor to the Awoken. Zavala ignored this and stated that Mara was a charlatan who had led her people astray and that he would only accept the Reef's people if they gave up the Queen's conspiracies. Further infuriated, Petra told Zavala that he was simply afraid and could not be trusted, then turned to Cayde and thanked him for his concern but she and her people would continue the Queen's work and that one day the City would thank them for it.
Hunt for the Scorn
The Prince and the Barons
- This section needs expansion. You can help Destinypedia by Lore:The Forsaken Prince. with information from
- "But seriously, PV, you got more problems than eight Barons right now. And Mansanas' latest says a Red Legion splinter group got into their heads that the Reef'd make a good summer home. Here's an idea—I could come back out to the Reef, do a few patrols. Free you up to focus on your birdwatching."
- — Cayde-6 in a letter to Petra
After the events of the Red War, Cayde grew tired of the Tower and ventured out to hunt enemies of the Vanguard. He captured many threats and put them into the Prison of Elders. Eventually, he gathered six of his most trusted Guardians and aided Petra in restoring order to the Reef, which had fallen into chaos after the events of The Taken War and the Red Legion's invasion. This campaign culminated in a battle against the Scorn, a powerful faction of Fallen outlaws. During the battle, most of the Scorn's Barons were killed, but Cayde and his team captured seven of them and sent them to the Prison of Elders. Despite this victory, Cayde's efforts against the Scorn were incomplete due to the escape of their leader Fikrul, the Fanatic. Even after the campaign against the Scorn ended, a restless Cayde would occasionally ask Petra to call for his help to create an excuse to leave.
Riot in the Prison of Elders
- "No... no... no... no... Cayde - he's gone. This isn't a prison riot. It's a prison break!"
- — Petra, discovering that Uldren and the Barons were gone from their cells
Petra was eventually alerted to a massive riot occurring in the Prison of Elders and contacted Cayde for backup. She met him and the Young Wolf on one of the prison's landing platforms and was questioned by the Hunter Vanguard about what she brought for the fight. Stating she had her usual, Petra pulled her knife from its sheath and demonstrated her telekinetic abilities with it after Cayde begged her to. When he wanted her to do it again, she told him she might later before turning serious and briefing them on the situation. The general population blocks were out-of-control, but the main arena and lower levels remained locked down. However, Petra was concerned that the core security systems might fail and make containment an issue. As the three split up and entered the prison, Petra cautioned that they needed to quell the riot before it got out of hand and escapees began overrunning the Reef. When a series of massive explosions rocked the prison, Petra informed the others she would get eyes on it and ordered them to join her when they could. The Young Wolf's Ghost reassured her they were on their way, and as Petra fought through more inmates, she requested they hurry as the blast had opened more cellblocks. As she finished the last of a group of Fallen rioters, Petra exclaimed that she loved fieldwork just as the Young Wolf arrived. Noting that the lower levels security system had been disabled by the explosions, she told them that she would go check on the high-value prisoners while they and Cayde headed to the security hub to restore power.
With the power knocked out Petra was forced to take the long route to the supermax cells and reported her slow progress to the Guardians when they notified her they were at the security hub. Cayde soon notified her that they had secured the hub and would clear her a path to supermax soon. Once power was restored, Petra gained access to the lower levels and stated she needed to check on a couple things to ensure the prison was secured. Upon opening the cellblock to the Scorn and Uldren's cells, Petra was horrified to discover they were all missing and informed Cayde, warning him that it was not a riot but a prison break they were dealing with. She ordered them to head for the airlock on deck zero which was the only way to escape from the lower levels. As she ran out of the cellblock, Petra was astounded to see Cayde riding the security hub down the central shaft to reach the bottom floors quickly. As the hub exploded upon impacting the bottom of the prison she shouted his name in horror and began rushing down to join him. By the time she reached the bottom, Petra was too late to assist and discovered the Young Wolf cradling Cayde's corpse, with the Hunter Vanguard having been murdered by Uldren and the Barons before they escaped.
Scouring the Tangled Shore
- "Well, if it isn't Petra Venj, the worst jailer in the solar system!"
"I heard you lost the Shore...
"Gah! YOU lost my Shore."
- — The Spider and Petra
Petra set out to hunt down Uldren and traveled to the Tangled Shore, where the Scorned Barons had ousted the Spider from his headquarters and sent him into hiding within his Spider's Safehouse. Suspecting that Uldren had sent them there to do something with the Watchtower, Petra hoped to recruit Spider into helping fight the Scorn, but he refused to open his doors while a Scorn threat remained nearby. Upon learning that the Young Wolf was also in the Shore hunting the Scorn, Petra hacked into their comms and relayed her plan to them before sending two of the Spider's associates, Arrha and Avrok, to help the Guardian. As the three clear the area of Thieves' Landing of Scorn Petra explained to the Young Wolf how Fikrul, the Fanatic had the power to bring dead Fallen back to life as twisted monstrosities. The Ghost questioned why the Barons had come to the Shore, but Petra was reluctant to reveal her suspicions due to it being Reef business. Once the area was secure, Petra met the Young Wolf at the entrance and prepared to introduce them to the Spider.
The Spider greeted Petra by calling her the worst jailer in the system, while she retorted by noting he lost the Tangled Shore. He blamed her for the Scorn's escape, but Petra suggested he might need help retaking it and gestured for the Young Wolf to step forward. Spider was interested and inquired where their Ghost was, but Petra told him to forget that and explained that they sought vengeance for Cayde and hoped they could help each other. The crime lord was intrigued, but reluctant as he felt it was likely he would come out the loser in such a deal. Petra prepared to draw her knife in case the Spider turned on them. The Spider offered Petra and the Guardian a deal: he would give the Guardian all the intel they need to hunt the Barons and in return, the Young Wolf would kill them and owe a favor to the Spider. Despite the terms, the Guardian agreed.
While the Spider provided intel for the whereabouts of the Barons, Petra was also crucial for helping the Guardian find Elykris, the Machinist and Fikrul, the Fanatic. Following the death of the Machinist, Petra tracked Uldren to the Shard of the Traveler in the EDZ, but was discovered and forced to flee. She informs the Guardian that Uldren was likely to enter the Watchtower, a sanctuary full of Awoken secrets in the Dreaming City and they must put a end to this.
She aids the Guardian pursue Uldren to the Watchtower, arriving by air. Petra enters a gate leaving the Guardian to protect her from behind. Later, the Guardians fight through the Scorn armada and dispose Fikrul who was guarding the Watchtower for Uldren. It is soon discovered that Uldren was being manipulated by the Voice of Riven and was devoured by it. After disposing the chimeric Servitor, Uldren regains his consciousness and is met by both Petra and the Guardian who proceed to kill him. After his death, she sets up her base of operations within the Dreaming City.
Fight for the Dreaming City
Silencing the Voices
- "I have protected. I have hidden. I have believed. Now, I want answers."
- — Petra Venj
After entering the Dreaming City, Petra soon discovered the cause of Uldren's corruption: the Ahamkara Riven had been Taken and now infested the heart of the Keep of Voices, and that Kalli, Shuro Chi, and Sedia were also Taken. In addition, Taken and Hive infested much of the city while Scorn also invaded. She was soon joined by the Guardian and met them at the Oracle Engine, which she intended to use to contact Queen Mara and inform her of all that had happened. Petra discovered that the offering to the Oracle was missing and requested that the Guardian look for it. She then explained some of the history of the Dreaming City to the Guardian, including how it was evacuated just prior to the Taken War and locked down until everything was supposedly safe. She revealed that outsiders were usually forbidden from entering the sacred city, as it was one of many hidden cities throughout the Reef and dedicated to learning from greater powers, meditating, and transcending. Petra also told the Guardian that the Oracle Engine was supposedly used by Mara to walk between realities and was said to be able to communicate with her while doing so. The Guardian's Ghost noted she talked as if Mara still lived, and Petra reassured them she was not mad like Uldren, but simply had faith that Mara had a plan and did not perish at Saturn. She then questioned if they had encountered the Taken Techeuns and vowed to save them if possible.
The Guardian soon returned with the offering, having slain Scorn Chieftain Elikaa, Sworn to Vengeance to retrieve it. Petra utilized the offering and was overjoyed when Mara spoke through the Oracle Engine. Quickly composing herself, Petra sought to inform the Queen that Uldren was dead, but Mara cut her off and declared she knew what had become of him. Petra then explained how she believed Uldren had been Taken through the influence of Riven, along with the remaining Techeuns, and begged her Queen to reveal what she should do next. Mara ordered her to allow Guardians to enter the city and have the Young Wolf lead a fireteam to slay the corrupted Ahamkara in exchange for riches and rewards, and to also keep her updated on what happened and promising to answer if possible. As the connection with the Queen ended, Petra reveled in her vindication of Mara's survival and headed back to her ship, requesting that the Guardian meet her again when possible.
Although the Guardians killed Riven, the Ahamkara unleashed a curse on the Dreaming City which trapped in a time loop that reset every three weeks.
The Endless Cycle
- ""In absence"? No. She is with us. There are moments when I can feel her presence at the edges of my mind."
- — Petra about Queen Mara
During the seventh loop, Petra contacted Queen Mara and stated that despite the seemingly hopeless nature of their situation, reinforcements continued to arrive at the Dreaming City, including many Guardians, Corsairs, and other old friends and comrades that Petra had thought dead. They were all ready to fight for the Awoken homeland, and Petra knew that she would continue to fight with them even if the curse lasted a hundred years, with her only wish being that Mara could join them. Around the time of the seventh loop, Petra and one of her teams encountered Eris Morn emerging from a portal within the Dreaming City. She quickly ordered her soldiers to stand down and apologized to her old comrade for the aggressive welcome. Eris was astounded at being in the City and commented that she had never thought to see it, but Petra informed her that she would not be staying long. She brought the secretive Guardian to Mara, who decided to embark on a journey with Eris to seek vengeance on the Hive and determine what plans the Darkness had next for the solar system.
Several months into the curse, Petra was approached by the Guardian, who had discovered a scrap of paper with Awoken writing on it within the Menagerie in the depths of the Leviathan. Petra noted the writing's grammar was strange and close to that of the Fallen. She informed them that the paper were instructions on how to find a rocket launcher somewhere within the Prison of Elders.
- "Xivu Arath's presence is strong here. I'm not keen on another Hive matron worming their way into Awoken territory. Whatever terror she is sowing here, burn it out."
- — Petra, discussing the emergence of the Wrathborn with the Young Wolf
After two years of deadlock battling the Taken curse upon the Dreaming City, Petra and her forces found themselves facing new setbacks with the arrival of the Black Fleet in the Solar System. The Pyramids invaded several worlds and moons across the system and eventually caused them to disappear in a wave of Darkness that was only halted by the Traveler's reformation. Petra was plagued by dreams of their disappearance, and she soon noticed a difference within the Dreaming City's air following the display of power by the Darkness, sensing that a new unknown battle was being fought there that she could not see clearly. Petra also learned of rumors about Prince Uldren being alive and on the Tangled Shore, although she regarded that as being impossible. The Young Wolf soon visited her and she expressed her sorrows for the losses they and the Last City had suffered when Io, Mars, Mercury, and Titan had disappeared and shared with them her concerns over the Darkness' effect on the Dreaming City. Petra also shared the rumor of Uldren's survival with them and requested that if there was any truth to it that they share it with her before any official reports were sent out.
Petra soon had another visitor, the Warlock Osiris, who was seeking information on a new threat he sensed was building in the system. Although he was an ally of the Reef, he had long been absent and Petra was unsure how much she could trust him. She provided Osiris information on new Hive activity across the system, which left him unsatisfied. A few days later, a message was sent across the system from Queen Mara Sov, who declared she was returning to the system and the Dreaming City to fight for her people against Savathûn, along with an apology to Petra for leaving her with the burden of leadership for so long.
- This section needs expansion. You can help Destinypedia by .
- "I believe that without your stalwart determination, this city would have been lost long ago. I was right to assign you this position. I want to express my gratitude for the sacrifices you've made."
- — Mara thanking Petra for her service during the Queen's absence.
Following Mara Sov's return, Petra was tasked by her to assist in the restoration of her coven of Techeuns. Petra would often supervise the Guardian's operations to stabilize the Ley Lines and rescue Techeuns. Soon, however, Mara would order her to stop Crow from conversing with Savathûn, leading to a tense standoff between the two which ended thanks to intervention from Crow's Ghost, Glint. However, Petra still harbors a grudge against Crow, as she can be seen treating him coldly when speaking to him. When the Guardian came to her following her blocking Crow from Savathûn, Petra explained that what she did was the Queen's orders, not from her own bias.
After Crow learned about his past and left the City distraught, Glint messaged Petra and asked her how long it took Mara to forgive her for what had happened to Uldren. Petra reassured the Ghost that Crow would eventually come back, because Uldren had always been a fool for love, and his Guardian loved Glint.
Personality and traits
First and foremost, Petra is loyal, if not devoted, to her Queen, Mara Sov, following her commands without question or hesitation. While she practically begged her Queen to be allowed to return to the Reef, she remained bound to her duty in her assignment as the Queen's Emissary after her previous actions soured relations between the Reef and the Last City. Thus she was desperate to redeem herself in the eyes of her Queen and be of use to her. Upon Mara's presumed death at the start of the Taken War, Petra was almost consumed with sadness and if not for Variks and the Guardian occupying her time with the Wolf situation on Mars, Petra would've been lost in her mourning. When she finally made verbal contact with Mara years later, she was elated and relieved. However, Arach Jalaal went so far as to imply that Petra was a willing slave to Queen Mara, never able to truly be free of her influence.
Since becoming Acting Regent-Commander of the Awoken, Petra was under constant duress as she hated the burdens of leadership. She blames herself for many of the disasters that have befallen the Awoken, such as the Prison break at the Prison of Elders, Cayde's death, Riven's manipulation, deaths of the Corsairs under her command, and the curse on the Dreaming City. Despite all this, she continued to hold out as Regent-Commander, showing a stoic attitude towards the many threats that befall her and her people. Upon Mara Sov's eventual return, she was glad to shed the mantle of the de-facto leader of the Reef, and received praise from the Queen for the many sacrifices she had to make through these difficult years.
Petra holds a great deal of trust and respect for the Guardian, acting very eager to work with them in their missions together. She heavily enjoyed doing joint field work during the Wolf Rebellion and not being assigned as the Queen's Emissary. Petra was also among the first to help the Guardian's personal mission to avenge Cayde, having similar feelings to have Uldren Sov pay for his crimes. Petra was also willing to divulge some of the Awoken's deepest secrets to the Guardian, showcasing her faith and trust in them.
During the Wolf Rebellion she also worked closely with Variks, scribe of the House of Judgment and one of the Eliksni loyal to the Queen. They shared an odd friendship, built on necessity and mutual reliance, but the knowledge of each other's strengths and agendas made them good partners and, according to Variks, "as close as any two people can get". Their relationship became strained when Petra brought Uldren, whom Variks still saw as his prince, to the Prison of Elders. Not long after the scribe abandoned his post as warden of the Prison, unwittingly setting in motion the domino which eventually led to the Dreaming City curse. It is unknown if the two made any contact since, but Variks's idle lines in Beyond Light suggest he is anxious for the time Petra finds him.
Petra's bond with her Queen's brother, Uldren Sov, while never truly strong, was respectable - Petra describes them as having been friends in "their own, strange way". It ultimately became heavily adversarial after his betrayal in joining the Scorn and unleashing chaos on the Reef. As such, she aided first Cayde-6 and later the Guardian in hunting the rogue prince, sharing their vendetta against Uldren. Despite this, she couldn't help but miss Uldren after his execution. Upon discovering the prince's return as a Lightbearer named Crow, Petra became heavily conflicted. Though Crow was a different person than the Uldren she knew, Petra kept him distant and even bore an attitude towards him, despite Crow's efforts to befriend her.
|1||Queen's Guard Crest (Emblem, 2500 glimmer), Crown of the Sovereign (Emblem, 2500 glimmer)|
|2||Rosegold (Shader, 5000 glimmer), Prism Dancer (Shader, 5000 glimmer)|
|3||Pallas Victorious (Shader, 5000 glimmer), Imogen's Fire (Shader, 5000 glimmer), Ceres Galliot (Ship, 17500 glimmer)|
- "Variks has his uses, but be careful. He holds many alliances, too many."
- "I dreamt of your Traveler last night, shining through the window of my pod. Like a great white moon."
- "This used to be a Fallen ship, before the Scatter."
- "The Wolves spread far a wide, beware Guardian."
- "Don't worry, your ship is safe."
- "How's the hunt treating you, Guardian."
- "The Reef can be a maze if you're not used to it."
- "We're still rounding the rest of Skolas's allies. Up for some hunting?"
- "Ready for some hunting, Guardian?"
- "The Queen may have opened the Reef, but the hunt goes through me."
- "If it's the Techeuns you seek, they keep to themselves. Count yourself lucky."
- "Welcome to the Reef. You'll get used to the gravity."
- "We still have work to do."
- "If it had been up to me, we would have killed Skolas."
- "Let's get you a target."
- "We set up this outpost for the hunt. The Queen prefers it this way."
- "Let's see. Spinwards of this ship are the Factory Ships, then The Web, then the Tertiary Sun Core."
- "What do you think?"
- "Are you looking for me?"
- "If you're not busy, I could use your help."
- "The Wolves spread far and wide, we have little time to waste."
- "The Queen commands you stay here for now, the rest of the Reef is... you'd find it strange."
- "I had a dream last night. I was hunting with the Queen on great white horses in a field of black flowers, and then... well... it was a good omen."
- "I visited Skolas in the Prison of Elders last night. The Queen will get him to talk."
- "I spoke again with Uldren. He is very cautious about you."
- "We don't have day and nights here in quite the way you're used to, it must be confusing."
- "These are strange times."
- "Tell me about your Traveler, Guardian."
- "I never thought Skolas would return. I'll never understand why she keeps them alive."
- "You must have things to get back to on Earth."
- "Tell the Cryptarch we have need of his expertise."
- "They can't have just vanished."
- "Variks said what?"
- "We've got their trail now."
- "I don't trust him either but Variks has rarely been wrong since word of Skolas's return."
- "This was Variks's plan? We should be cautious, but I have to admit he's been very helpful lately."
- "The Queen won't accept failure and nor will I."
- "Guardian! If you're here to hunt wolves, come this way!"
- "Intel from the Techeuns? The Queen has them helping out too?"
- "I see Variks scuttling about. What's he planning now?"
- "I saw that one in a dream. The Black Garden."
- "If you're here to hunt Wolves, I can help you!"
- "Do not waste my time."
- "If the Queen wants it, then do it."
- "Don't worry. If this information turns out bad, I'll flush him out to space."
- "Who knows what they'll try. Be vigilant."
- "Get it to Variks. Fast."
- "On Venus. Are you sure?"
- "Give me the location of every Ketch you can. Skolas will surely amass a fleet."
- "Tell me, have you dreamed all this before?"
- "Some of you may know me! I am Petra Venj! I lead this Hunt!"
- "Guardians! Guests of the Queen! This way!"
- "Mark it resolved."
- "So. The Wolf's ship Kaliks returns but who's its Kell."
- "Look at the servitor count around this one. Must be one of Skolas's new barons."
- "That Banner. Skolas's old crew."
- "Where. Where, where do you hide now Skolas?"
- "Why doesn't she just send in a slew of Harbingers? Have the Witches lost control of them?"
- "Open the channel to its Ghost. You got three Skiffs incoming, find some cover, we can't discern the house."
- "What is that? Are you watching one of Variks's prison fights?"
- "So the Techeuns fast-tracked you? You must be good."
- "Good, they'll regret starting that prison uprising."
- "Keep an eye on the Hunter with the Wolves cape."
- "What did they say?"
- "Encrypted. If it's beyond the Cryptarchs' abilities we'll have to trust Variks."
- "Strange to see so many Guardians here."
- "Skolas! How did he get out of that prison?"
- "What do you think?"
- "Scan Venus for every deployed Walker, have the Guardians silence them."
- "Issue a bounty, up the reward."
- "What's that Skiff? Doesn't look like the Wolves. Track it anyway."
- "Which one's this? Quite good for a Guardian."
- "Uldren sent this? Queen's brother proves clever again."
- "Don't look at me like that; it just makes me miss Cayde more."
- "Here to re-supply? Me too, then it's back to the field."
- "Uldren... you know better than to try to take the Watchtower... or, you did..."
- "Don't lose heart; we'll find him."
- "Cayde approached me about taking care of the barons. He wanted me to join a team of his, called them... 'Cayde's Six'. I'm not sure if he was being serious."
- "Still nothing on the Reef networks."
- "Don't lose heart; we're in this together."
- "No response? Then pull them out. If we can't travel through the Ascendant Realm safely, leave it to the Guardians."
- "Cayde used to ask where the Awoken really lived, whether we had 'good loot'."
- "I blame myself for all this."
- "I can't excuse Uldren's crimes, but... sometimes, I miss him. I can't help it."
- "Ah, my favorite Guardian."
- "Did you know Sedia says she used to know Zavala before he died and became a Guardian? She said he hasn't changed much."
- Petra apparently has telekinetic abilities, being able to levitate her knife. It is unknown if this extends to other objects or if it is an ability all Reefborn Awoken have.
- Although she admits the lucid dreams she used to share with her sister Pinar back on Amethyst stopped when she quit her Techeun training, Petra still experiences visions and possibly prophetic dreams.
- Petra is performed and voiced by April Stewart.
- If the Guardian is an Awoken, Petra will refer to them as "cousin", most likely as a sign of respect towards another member of her race.
List of appearances
- Destiny (First appearance)
- Destiny 2: Curse of Osiris (Mentioned only)
- Warmind (Mentioned only)
- Shadowkeep (Mentioned only)
- Beyond Light
- Season of the Haunted (Mentioned only)
- Bungie (2018/9/4), Destiny 2: Forsaken, Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, The Awoken of the Reef - Illyn
- Planet Destiny: Complete "Reef Reveal" Recap
- Bungie (2021/8/24), Destiny 2: Season of the Lost: Canis Major
- Bungie (2021/8/24), Destiny 2: Season of the Lost: Pathfinder's Grips / Gauntlets / Wraps
- Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Item Description, Wanted: Drevis, Wolf Baroness
- Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Petra Venj, Queen's Wrath
- Bungie (2018/9/4), Destiny 2: Forsaken, Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Lore: Honored
- Bungie (2018/9/4), Destiny 2: Forsaken, Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Vouchsafe
- Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, House of Wolves (quest)
- Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: The Hunt for Skolas
- Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, A Kell Rising
- Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: A Kell Rising
- Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Gone to Ground
- Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, The Silent Fang
- Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: The Silent Fang
- Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Paskin, King Baron
- Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Vekis, King Baron
- Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, The Ruling House
- Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: The Ruling House
- Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: The Kell of Kells
- Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Wolves' Gambit
- Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Queen's Ransom
- Bungie (2018/9/4), Destiny 2: Forsaken, Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Lore: Regent
- Bungie (2015/9/15), Destiny: The Taken King Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Telesto
- Bungie (2017/1/31), Destiny, Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, A New Den
- Bungie (2017/1/31), Destiny, Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, A Prime's Path
- Bungie (2015/9/15), Destiny: The Taken King Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Take the Wanted
- Bungie (2015/9/15), Destiny: The Taken King Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Scour the Dreadnaught
- Bungie (2015/9/15), Destiny: The Taken King PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Report: Taken Power
- Bungie (2018/9/4), Destiny 2: Forsaken, Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Prodigal Vest / Cuirass / Robes
- Bungie (2018/9/4), Destiny 2: Forsaken, Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Prodigal Strides / Greaves / Steps
- Bungie (2018/9/4), Destiny 2: Forsaken, Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Lore: Refusal
- Game Informer: These Are The Eight Barons Who Helped Kill Cayde-6 In Destiny 2: Forsaken
- [From Cayde]
- Bungie (2018/9/4), Destiny 2: Forsaken, Activision Blizzard - Mission: Last Call
- Bungie (2018/9/4), Destiny 2: Forsaken, Activision Blizzard - Mission: High Plains Blues
- Bungie (2018/9/4), Destiny 2: Forsaken, Playstation 4,Target: The Mindbender
- Bungie (2018/9/4), Destiny 2: Forsaken, Playstation 4,Target: The Trickster
- Bungie (2018/9/4), Destiny 2: Forsaken, Playstation 4, Shard of the Traveler cutscene
- Bungie (2018/9/4), Destiny 2: Forsaken, Playstation 4, The Machinist
- Bungie (2018/9/4), Destiny 2: Forsaken, Playstation 4, A Hum of Starlight
- Bungie (2018/9/4), Destiny 2: Forsaken, Playstation 4, Nothing left to Say
- Gamerant Dreaming City Details
- Bungie (2018/9/4), Destiny 2: Forsaken, Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Awakening (mission)
- Bungie (2018/9/4), Destiny 2: Forsaken, Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Broken Courier
- Bungie (2018/9/4), Destiny 2: Forsaken, Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Awakening
- Bungie, (9/19/2019), Weblore: Narrative Preview Chapter Four - A Friend in Need
- Bungie (2019/6/4), Destiny 2: Season of Opulence, Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Hidden Between Realities
- Bungie (2020/11/10), Destiny 2: Beyond Light, Petra Venj - The Prince Lives
- Bungie, (2020/11/13), Weblore: Immolant Pt. 1
- Bungie (2020/11/10), Destiny 2: Beyond Light, Vanguard Communications
- Bungie (2015-5-19), Destiny: House of Wolves, PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Skolas: Defeated
- Bungie (2020/11/10), Destiny 2: Beyond Light, Variks, the Loyal - idle dialogue
- Bungie (2020/11/10), Destiny 2: Beyond Light, Variks, the Loyal - idle dialogue
- Bungie.net: Petra has a strange hidden power
- April Stewart - IMDb