- "Without their Kell, Houses usually turn against each other."
- — Ghost.
The Kells serve as part of the triumvirate leadership of a Fallen House and are like Archons in that they are large and powerful, and that their loss weakens their house. If a Kell dies, the House is vulnerable to infighting amongst the Houses Barons and nobility.
Since Fallen do not take the loss of leaders lightly, the position of Kellship is highly important to a Fallen Houses stability and should the Kell fall, the Houses become subject to civil war between bitter rivals within the houses nobility. For example, during the Reef Wars the House of Wolves fell into a civil war after their previous Kell, Virixas was killed and three rival contenders emerged and fought each other to take his place.  Only the most powerful contender or when all opposition is gone can someone assume control.
While it is possible that a House can still function without a Kell, as an Archon can assume command. But, their loss severely weakens a house and demoralizes its forces. For this reason, Kells are a prime target for enemy forces.
According to a prophecy by the House of Rain, the Great Machine would crown a mighty warrior as the Kell of Kells, and rule over all houses. None but Skolas has ever attempted to claim this title for themselves.
- House of Devils
- House of Judgment
- House of Kings
- Craask, Kell of Kings (formerly)
- House of Light
- House of Stone
- House of Winter
- House of Wolves
Known claimants to Kellship
Houses without Kells
- Drifis, the Daring mentioned in the Fallen Kingdom Anthology.
- A Kell who docked Taniks, the Scarred in the item description of Does Not Bow.
- A Kell who died in the decription of the Gunslinger.
- A Kell who died in the item description of Cloak of Five Full Moons.
Mithrax, Kell to the Open-Minded Fallen
- Kells can control the ether supply of a House through the use of The Elder Cipher.
- Kells have their own bodyguards in the form of Kell's Guard and Wolves' Guard for the House of Winter and Wolves.
- For more than a century Riksis, Devil Archon and Sepiks Prime maintained authority over the House of Devils. This is showing evidence that a House can function without a Kell.
List of appearances
- Destiny (First appearance)
- Destiny 2
- Bungie (2014-9-9), Destiny, PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Draksis, Winter Kell
- Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Reef Wars
- Bungie (2014/9/9), Destiny: Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Riksis, Devil Archon
- Bungie (2015-5-19), Destiny: House of Wolves, PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: The Kell of Kells
- Bungie (2016/4/15), Destiny, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Rezyl Azzir - War Without End