- "Fallen run in packs, led by an individual Captain. There is no denying a Captain's might; they are the fiercest of the Fallen. There is this sense of tattered nobility to them. You can see it in the way they carry themselves. They think they're better than us. They believe that Earth belongs to them."
- — Bungie.net description.
The Captain is a class of Fallen. They are a known rank of Fallen, carrying themselves with an air of superiority and nobility. They have been shown to wield most Fallen weapons, and are almost always enshrouded within an absorption shield. They have the ability to teleport short distances.
- "Waves of them smashed against our walls, hissing and wailing. But it was the one who stood beyond them, silent and scenting the air, that froze the blood in our veins."
- — Grimoire description.
Captains are the fiercest rank of Fallen on the battlefield. They lead their crew with their superior combat prowess. The weapon they wield will effect their behavior. Captains will usually be armed with a Shrapnel Launcher, in which case they will push towards Guardians very aggressively while firing canisters of shrapnel at their target, because the weapon is especially effective at close range. If armed with a Shock Rifle, they tend to keep their distance and pick the player off from there by sending homing Arc projectiles downrange. A Captain can also be seen wielding a pair of Shock Blades. They will fearlessly charge into the fray to cut their targets to bits. However, a Captain is likely at his most deadly when armed with a Scorch Cannon, which he uses to devastating effect, being able to instantly kill Guardians at any distance, and are also very aggressive when closing in on their targets. For improved durability and mobility, their armor has an embedded Arc shield as well as teleportation tech. Although they will break off an engagement when their shield is broken down, they are otherwise fearless and will charge into battle at any chance they see fit, even if the odds are against them.
In Destiny 2, Captains fight differently, making use of hit-and-run teleportation tactics to overwhelm their enemies. Captains will attempt to quickly shoot you, then dash away with a teleport, repeating the process. An attempt to break this engagement with heavy-fire is recommended. They also sport a slightly thinner, more streamlined look.
- Shock Rifle (common)
- Shrapnel Launcher (common)
- Dual Shock Blades (rare)
- Scorch Cannon (Scorch Captains and Wolves' Guards only)
- Molten Welder (uncommon)
- Cache Defender
- Elder Captain—Heroic Difficulty
- Splicer Captain
- Baron—Higher ranking Captains and commanders who leads their crews through their skiffs
- Noble Captain—Epic Difficulty
- Queenbreaker Captain
- Reaver Captain—Major
- Scorch Captain—wields a Scorch Cannon
- Silent Fang—Stealth Captain
- Watch Captain
- Kell—Leads a Fallen House and Commands a Ketch
- Wolf Captain
- Despoiler Captain
- Resilient Captain
- Extractor Captain
- Voltaic Guard
- Archon—Prime Servitor's bodygaurds and High Priests of the Fallen
- Calzar, Scarred Captain
- Drekthas, Metal Captain
- Ghalsis, Pilferer Captain
- Graxus, Blind Captain
- Iliksis, Light Stalker
- Kalsis, Sunless Captain
- Keldrik, Drained Captain
- Khirin, Blinding Captain
- Maksor, Starving Scavenger
- Mazan, Lost Captain
- Pallas Siegebreaker
- Phyzann, Drowned Captain
- Rahn, Devil Captain
- Rannix, Drenched Captain
- Relentless Grak
- Skriviks, the Sharp-Eyed
- Spekkis, Pike Captain
- Taksor, Scavenger Raider
- Talas, Dusk Captain
- Tikkis, Diminished Scrapper
- Varjis, Clever Headed (Mentioned only)
- Bungie created a physical Fallen Captain model for Gamescom 2013.
- During cutscenes early in the game, Captains were seen wielding Wire Rifles. Ironically, Wire Rifles are never seen in the hands of a Captain in gameplay.
- In Destiny 2, normal Captains have a grey pelt lining their body and purple cloth while Major and Ultra rank Captains have brown fur and gold cloth.
Side profile of a Fallen Captain wielding a Wire Rifle.
A Fallen Captain seen in The Law Of The Jungle.
Render of a Captain belonging to the House of Dusk.
A Dusk Captain on Nessus.
List of appearances
- The Law Of The Jungle (First appearance)
- Destiny 2