From Destinypedia, the Destiny wiki
- "Sometimes the only answer is to burn it all away."
- — Grimoire
Solar energy is related to combustion, heat and nuclear fusion, and can be wielded by Guardians to generate flames and other heat-related phenomena. Healing power is also associate with Solar Energy. Solar energy can be integrated into vehicles, from small sparrows to the mighty war machines of the Cabal, even certain clothing that have a program to it is capable of enhancing the use of Solar. There are places that can refine items from solar energy. There are even locations that harness energy from the Sun and converts it to Solar Light. Some Guardians use Solar energy to create cooking fires.
Guardians employ Solar powers for two main aspects: burning and healing. The abilities of their Solar subclasses reflect these.
Sunbreakers are a mercenary order of Titans that are exceptionally skilled at wielding Solar Light, manifesting it as the weapon known as the Hammer of Sol. In Destiny 2, they can also create a Burning Maul in order to deal close-range damage.
Dawnblade Warlocks replaced Sunsingers in Destiny 2 and use Solar Light to create a sword that can either be used to produce damage dealing Projectiles, or a planted in the ground for the empowering Well of Radiance.
Common effects of Solar subclasses, as defined in the Light 3.0 update, are:
- Cure - You are healed in a burst of mending Solar Light.
- Restoration - You continuously regenerate health and shields over time. Cannot be interrupted by taking damage.
- Restoration can be stacked twice, increasing the regeneration speed.
- Radiant - Your weapons are enhanced by the power of the Traveler and deal increased damage to foes.
- Scorch - The target is singed by destructive Solar Light, taking damage over time. Scorch damage increases as the target accumulates more Scorch stacks. After 100 Scorch stacks are applied to the target, they Ignite.
- Different effects inflict different amounts of scorch stacks.
- Ignite - A large, damaging Solar explosion in an area around the target.
As of the Solar 3.0 update, all grenades are accessible to all classes
- Solar Grenade: A grenade that creates a flare of Solar Light which continually damages and scorches targets trapped inside.
- Firebolt Grenade: A grenade that unleashes bolts of damaging Solar Light at nearby targets and slightly scorches them.
- Fusion Grenade: An explosive grenade that attaches to its targets, damaging and moderately scorching them on detonation.
- Incendiary Grenade: A grenade that explodes in a fiery burst and heavily scorches nearby targets.
- Thermite Grenade: A grenade that sends forth a line of fire, dealing damage and scorching targets in its path.
- Swarm Grenade: A grenade that detonates on impact, releasing multiple drones that seek nearby enemies. Each drone slightly scorches affected targets.
- Tripmine Grenade: An explosive grenade that sticks to surfaces and detonates when enemies pass through its laser trigger, dealing damage and moderately scorching them.
- Healing Grenade: A grenade that cures allies on impact and creates an Orb of benevolent Solar Light, granting restoration to allies when picked up.
Shared effects that can be exchanged to customize the powers of a subclass.
- Ember of Ashes: You apply more scorch stacks to targets.
- Ember of Beams: Your Solar Super projectiles have stronger target acquisition. +10 Intellect.
- Ember of Benevolence: Applying restoration, cure or radiant to allies grants increased grenade, melee, and class ability regeneration for a short duration.
- Ember of Blistering: Defeating targets with Solar ignitions grant grenade energy.
- Ember of Char: Your Solar ignitions spread scorch to affected targets. +10 Discipline.
- Ember of Combustion: Final blows with your Solar Super cause targets to ignite. +10 Strength.
- Ember of Eruption: Your Solar ignitions have increased area of effect. +10 Strength.
- Ember of Empyrean: Solar weapon or ability final blows extend the duration of restoration and radiant effects applied to you. -10 Resilience.
- Ember of Searing: Defeating scorched targets grants melee energy. +10 Recovery.
- Ember of Singeing: Your class ability recharges faster when you scorch targets.
- Ember of Solace: Radiant and restoration effects applied to you have increased duration.
- Ember of Tempering: Solar weapon final blows grant you and your allies increased recovery for a short duration. Stacks 3 times. While Ember of Tempering is active, your weapons have increased airborne effectiveness. -10 Recovery.
- Ember of Torches: Powered melee attacks against combatants make you and nearby allies radiant.
- Ember of Wonder: Rapidly defeating multiple targets with Solar ignitions generates an Orb of Power. +10 Resilience.
Cabal and Devil Splicers are the main users of Solar weapons, with light, heavy and melee weapons found across all their ranks, especially in Destiny 1. Low ranking Vex use Solar ranged weapons, while Solar melee mostly comes from Scorn. Fallen and Scorn heavier weaponry is commonly Solar powered. A few Taken have Solar melee attacks, with only Wire Rifles and Torch Hammers as ranged weapons, and Taken Knights and Taken Wizards can use Solar abilities. The Hive only gained Solar attacks in Destiny 2, with the Splinter crossbow and the Acolyte Grenade. Solar Burn effects are also common environmental hazards, as well as as abilities of Ultra combatants.
Solar Absorption Shields are employed by Cabal Centurions, Hive Wizards, Taken Captains, and Scorn Chieftains, and added to Shanks and Taken Knights in higher difficulty activities, such as Legend Nightfalls. The end of a Nightmare Hunt features enemies of the Nightmare's faction equipped with Solar shields.