Elite Special Forces
- "Rumors mostly, An elite faction of the Cabal, deathly loyal to their commander. And rumor says that they've never known defeat!"
- —Ikora Rey
Emperor Calus appointed a younger Ghaul to Primus of the Red Legion, where his talents would be best put to use. For his albinism, Ghaul became known as the Ghost Primus. Under his command, the Red Legion became loyal to Ghaul over their emperor, such that when Ghaul launched his coup against Emperor Calus, the Red Legion accompanied him, arresting Calus and forcing him aboard The Leviathan.
The Legion was last deployed in response to the Skyburners' distress call to attack the Last City on Earth, launching a successful invasion of Earth and the Last City. They managed to cripple the Last City and devastate the Guardians, leaving them vulnerable and displaced. They are attempting to claim the Light from the Traveler and become Guardians. Following the attack, the Red Legion began to quickly occupy the Solar System, even making an attempt to dig up ancient Vex ruins on Nessus, where they unearthed the ancient Vex mind Protheon, Modular Mind. Soldiers of the Legion utilize highly advanced technology, far more advanced than that of their older scouts.
Ghaul's death and the Legion's defeat at the City did not substantially hinder their war machine. With the Dominus's command succeeded by Val Ca'uor, the Red Legion began to actively occupy Mercury and Mars in order to resupply their forces. Around the time the Hive began emerging from the Hellas Basin on Mars, Val Ca'uor led a Red Legion fleet against the Leviathan in order to seize it from Calus and weaponize it. Ca'uor's forces were repelled by The Guardian and was assassinated afterward, thus leaving the Red Legion leaderless again, weakened and further demoralized.
- Dominus Ghaul
- The Consul
- Thumos, the Unbroken
- Primus Cal'aug
- Kargen, the Technocrat
- Val Ca'uor
- Valus Thuun
Named Leaders and Bosses
- Pashk, the Searing Will
- Brann, the Unbent Blade
- Bracus Ghurm
- Excavator Valus
- Kreth, the Living Skyfire
- Infiltrator Valus
- Investigator Tosusk
- Investigator Prulg
- Drusk, the Crushing Fist
- Kurg, the All-Seeing Force
- Prusk, the Unequaled Maul
- Glomus, the Severing Slash
- Zarik, the Booming Voice
The command structure and tactics of the Red Legion are more aggressive and agile than any Cabal Legion observed before, with deadlier weapons, advanced technology, and battle techniques. The Red Legion also has a handful of new units that operate in the field. Majors will typically wear silver armor, whereas Ultras wear gold armor.
- Scorpius—mechanical turrets that are deployed by the Red Legion and Loyalists. These turrets unleash a barrage of ballistic fire upon their targets.
- War Beast—brand new Red Legion military hound. Armed with sharp teeth, claws, and horns. They will aggressively chase combatants to kill them with overwhelming numbers and speed.
- Psion—a client race of the Cabal that have psychic abilities and move around faster than regular Cabal units. Armed with Cabal Headhunters that deal high damage from very far away.
- Legionary—basic line infantry units that make up the majority of the Red Legion's forces. Armed with Cabal Slug Shotguns and can extend and retract blades from gauntlets on their wrists, which can be used as a melee weapon or fired as a projectile which detonates upon contact with any surface.
- Phalanx—defensive troops meant to provide cover and support for troops by using Energy Shields. Armed with Cabal Slug Shotguns and can expand their shields to give protection to multiple units and close off important pathways.
- Incendior—brand new Red Legion pyrotechnic unit. Armed with Cabal Magma Launchers that fire jets of flames that incinerate any surface or combatant. Can perform a compression blast at close range and has a fuel tank that can be detonated to set off an explosion that can take out nearby Cabal units as well as Guardians.
- Gladiator—brand new Red Legion melee unit. Armed with dual Severi that deal high damage at close range and is capable of performing a charge attack when enraged.
- Centurion—field commanders of the standard Red Legion crews. Armed with a Cabal Bronto Cannon and is capable of limited flight by using jet packs built into their armor.
- Colossus—elite heavy infantry units that regularly command Cabal squadrons and are capable of maintaining suppressive fire with their Cabal Slug Launchers. Can use missile pods on the back of their armor to launch large clusters of homing Arc rockets that have a very long range and leave blindness and slowness effects upon detonation. They are the most durable Cabal combat unit by a significant margin.
Red Legion troops can be primarily identified by their signature gunmetal and red color scheme, with some troops having gold, silver, or orange highlights depending upon their rank. They are also more heavily armored than other Cabal Legions, wearing metal plates over a bodysuit of War Beast scales. 
- The Red Legion is the first Cabal force to travel to Earth and succeed in attacking the Last City. They use more advanced technology in stark contrast to the Cabal scouts who were originally deployed to the Solar System in Destiny, evidence of the Cabal Empire's advancements after the original scouting party had been deployed.
- The Red Legion have been known to deploy via drop pods launched from their carriers, rather than mainly using the Harvester drop ship like their predecessors.
Red Legion troops battle the Vanguard.
Ghaul's Red Legion warship along with smaller Red Legion Threshers looming over the Last City.
List of appearances
- ^ Bungie (2017/8/9), Destiny 2: PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, Ghost Primus
- ^ Bungie (2017/8/9), Destiny 2: Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Midnight Coup
- ^ Bungie (2017/8/9), Destiny 2: Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard
- ^ YouTube - Destiny 2 – “Rally the Troops” Worldwide Reveal Trailer
- ^ Bungie (2017/8/9), Destiny 2: Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Last of the Legion
- ^ Bungie (2017/8/9), Destiny 2: Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Turris Shade Helm
- ^ Bungie (2017/8/9), Destiny 2: Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, The Emperor's Envy
- ^ https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/73up53/til_the_red_legion_burns_their_insignia_into_the/dntnlgc/