Planet Consumption Device
- "This vessel will challenge you in ways you never dreamed. Let's enjoy ourselves."
- —Emperor Calus
The Leviathan is a massive Cabal space vessel that serves as the personal pleasure craft of the exiled Emperor Calus and his Loyalists. It is the site of the Leviathan Raid and the Leviathan, Eater of Worlds Raid Lair.
The Leviathan is a gigantic spaceship, far surpassing the Hive's Dreadnaught and The Almighty of the Red Legion, which is used by the Loyalists to eat planets and process them into a thick, purple "royal wine". When a desired object is targeted, Cabal soldiers are sent to gather data on its geology to find out how to grind it up. The resulting rubble would be refined and mixed with the "royal nectar" of psionically-enhancing flowers from the Cabal homeworld to produce the royal wine for Calus's consumption. A large palace where Emperor Calus and his servants reside stands on the head of the ship, and two small, artificial suns hover in place above the highest tower.
On the night of the coup that deposed him, Emperor Calus was arrested and quietly ushered aboard The Leviathan, where Dominus Ghaul and his co-conspirators intended him to remain in exile in perpetuity. The Leviathan's navigation system was locked onto a course that would take it far from the Cabal Empire's domain. After many centuries, the system failed and the ship progressed no further; it had come upon a great expanse of nothingness, and could not plot a course through a place that did not exist. It was here that Calus claimed to have encountered something that overawed him, potentially the Darkness itself, and resolved to become its herald. With the navigation system unlocked, Calus charted a course back to Cabal territory, collecting Shadows along the way to enact his revenge against his usurpers. Following Dominus Ghaul's death during the Red War, The Leviathan arrived in the Solar System and began consuming the planetoid Nessus.
Unlike previous raid locations, areas within The Leviathan are not given unique names as they load in. However, as with locations within a Crucible map, certain rooms and areas have a unique name that is displayed beneath the player radar.
- Pleasure Gardens
- Royal Pools
- The Gauntlet
- Inner Chamber
- The name of this ship is a reference to a creature in The Bible called the Leviathan, which is a creature of enormous size.
- One idea for the Leviathan's origin, according to artist Dorje Bellbrook, was that the ship was inspired by creatures native to Calus' homeworld resembling large "land whales" that would travel along the ground and swallow anything caught in their path. It is unknown whether this is canon information or not, though similar-looking creatures feature prominently in Calus's heraldry and architecture.
- The Leviathan is the first Raid location featuring multiple, separate Raid activities.
The Leviathan's maw as seen from the surface of Nessus.
List of appearances
- ^ Destiny 2's Leviathan Raid: everything we know about its ultimate challenge
- ^ Destiny 2 Leviathan Raid Details Leak
- ^ Does Destiny 2's mysterious On the Comms quest have something to do with the Leviathan Raid?
- ^ Destiny 2 - Nessus Adventure: Invitation From The Emperor
- ^ ArtStation: Destiny 2: Cabal City-Eating Landwhale ("I thought it would be cool if Emperor Calus was inspired to make the Leviathan from a creature native to his home planet, a huge land whale that would slide across the plains and devour anything in its path.")