- "What does it mean to be a Warlock? Power. Only Warlocks understand true power."
- —Ikora Rey
More emphasized usage of Light powers
Warlocks are "warrior-scholars," and a class of Guardian. Warlocks utilize powers granted by the Traveler for both attack and defense. Warlocks specialize in ranged melee attacks and casting elemental spells to take out enemies.
- "Warlocks may be thinkers, but most I know can hold their own."
- —Lord Shaxx
Warlocks were the first to tap the power of the Traveler, wielding its light as they ventured beyond the safety of the Wall. They know each discovery offers new possibilities, and they have devoted themselves to understanding the Traveler, its power, and how to better channel that power. A Warlock mind is an arsenal of deadly secrets, balanced between godhood and madness. On the battlefield, those secrets can shatter reality itself. They search the frontier to find a means to defeat the Darkness once and for all.
Warlocks are known for pushing the boundaries of knowledge, even into dangerous territory. At least two warlocks, Toland, the Shattered and Osiris, were exiled for studying the Hive and Vex too closely. There also exists an order of warlocks called the Thanatonauts, who take advantage of Guardians ability to resurrect themselves to receive visions every time they die.
- "Warlocks have long studied the Traveler, mastering some of its arcane energies. Its true purpose remains a great mystery, but discovering truth has always driven you into the unknown. Now, our enemies are the only thing that stands between you and the lost wonders of our Golden Age."
- —Class description
All Guardians have certain abilities, some of which are granted by the Traveler, others which may appear more mundane in nature. All Guardians have a double jump ability and a "grenade-type" ability whose effects vary by class. All these abilities with the exception of the double jump can be upgraded over time and can be used in competitive PvP.
- Voidwalker—"From the smallest atoms bloom the greatest explosions." A heavy-damage Void subclass with an emphasis on recovering health and ability energy.
- Super—Nova Bomb: Channel some of the Traveler’s mysterious forces and unleash them in an explosive, large area-of-effect attack. When used, the user jumps and releases a large Void Light blast from one of their hands.
- Grenades—Vortex Grenade, Scatter Grenade, Axion Bolt
- Melee—Energy Drain: A powerful melee attack which drains energy from enemies and uses it to reduce the cooldown of your grenade.
- Jump—Glide; Blink
- Sunsinger—"There are flames that even the Darkness cannot extinguish." A support-focused Solar subclass for buffing yourself and your fireteam. Unlocked at level 15.
- Super—Radiance: Fill yourself with Solar Light, dramatically increasing the effectiveness of all your abilities. This Super ability will create an aura around the player, charging their grenade and melee attacks much faster, and can be upgrade to either share the effect to allies in your aura, reduce incoming damage, or create a phoenix-like effect where it can be used whilst dead, bringing you back to life while shortening the overall usage time.
- Grenades—Solar Grenade, Firebolt Grenade, Fusion Grenade
- Melee—Scorch: A powerful melee that ignites enemies, causing damage over time.
- Stormcaller—"Harmony within, hurricane without." A crowd-control subclass fueled by Arc Light. Available in The Taken King and Destiny 2.
- Super—Stormtrance: Chain Arc Lightning from your hands.
- Grenades—Pulse Grenade, Storm Grenade, Arcbolt Grenade
- Melee—Thunderstrike: Deliver an electrocuting Arc melee strike at extended range.
- Dawnblade—"Spread your wings and set the sky ablaze." A Solar-powered aerial offensive subclass with an emphasis on mobility and damage-dealing. Available exclusively in Destiny 2.
- Asher Mir—Member of the Genysm Scribes and a friend to Eris Morn. Forcibly modified by the Vex during an expedition on Io.
- Ikora Rey—Warlock Vanguard representative. Prides herself on being extremely diligent in her constant pursuit of knowledge. Leader of the spy network known as the Hidden.
- Praedyth—Warlock who got lost in time during the earliest known raid on the Vault of Glass. No one knows for how long he was gone or when he died.
- The Speaker—Voice of the Traveler, De facto leader of the Guardians and the Last City and former teacher to Osiris.
- Taeko-3—A member of the Praxic Warlocks who helped make the Zen Meteor. She later sacrificed her life to help destroy Savathûn's Song.
- Osiris—Veteran of the Battle of Six Fronts, Twilight Gap, former Vanguard Commander, and former apprentice of the Speaker. Osiris was exiled from the city for his misuse of resources and obsessions with the Vex. Nowadays, Osiris is a vigilante against threats from the Vex, working alongside the Guardian.
- Colovance—A member of the Iron Wolves and a student to Lord Timur.
- Eriana-3—Member of the Praxic Order, survivor of the Great Disaster and leader of the fireteam meant to assassinate Crota.
- Lord Felwinter—Voidwalker and former Warlord who defected to the Iron Lords.
- Fenchurch Everis—Renowned collector, explorer and "uncle" to Tess Everis who assisted her in founding Eververse.
- Gallida Tuyet—Leading weapon's scholar, leader of a fireteam named after her and creator of the Pocket Infinity.
- Kalumet Ziv
- Lyssa, the Lighthearted—A member of the Holborn's Host known for her cheerful disposition.
- Nethe Pav
- Pujari—A Thanatonaut who had visions of the Black Garden.
- Satomi—A Warlock who dabbled in thanatonautics and is the Architect of the Mask of the Quiet One.
- Lady Skorri—Sunsinger member of the Iron Lords who wrote songs of her compatriots' accomplishments and feats.
- The Stoic—One of the creators of the Zen Meteor Sniper Rifle.
- Lord Timur—A member of the Iron Lords and Stormcaller who was obsessed with the works of Clovis Bray, particularly SIVA.
- Toland, the Shattered—Warlock who was obsessed with the Hive, causing him to be exiled out of fear. Joined Eris Morn's fireteam when they attempted to assassinate Crota, Son of Oryx. Currently explores Hive nether-realms after the destruction of his physical body. Toland's obsessively detailed journal later aided Guardians in their quests to kill both Crota and Oryx.
- Ulan-Tan—Controversial theorist on the Darkness and the founder of the Symmetry Faction and its beliefs.
- Wen Jie-A Warlock considered unorthodox by other Guardians.
- The visual design for Warlocks was drawn from a range of sources, including wizards and World War I soldiers.
- The behavior of Destiny's Warlocks are similar to those of Warlocks from the Dungeons and Dragons roleplaying game.
- During the E3 2013 Destiny reveal the spokesmen for Bungie's design team said that the Warlock's powers was based around The Matrix's protagonist Neo's abilities.
- Additional Warlock abilities were hinted at, both in concept art (such as shields and flame generation), and in interviews (such as team rez and buff abilities).
A Warlock (left) in The Law Of The Jungle live action trailer.
Screenshot of the Warlock's Solar Flare grenade ability.
Concept art of a Warlock using an unknown flamelike ability to incinerate a group of Hive.
A Warlock fighting on the Moon.
List of appearances
- ^ a b Polygon: Bungie outlines ambitions for Destiny's extensive character customization
- ^ Destiny.bungie.org, Transcript of the official English version of the cards
- ^ Bungie (2014-6-12), Destiny: Alpha PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Warlock
- ^ Destiny Planet View
- ^ Bungie (2014-9-9), Destiny, PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Ghost Fragment: Exo 2
- ^ Destructoid: Destiny's Combat is Solid, But I'm Not So Sure About the Rest of it
- ^ a b Destiny Players: Warlock controls
- ^ MMORPG: Delving Into Bungie's Vision
- ^ Bungie.net: The Mail Sack of Your Dreams
- ^ If it's the first character created, otherwise interchangeable after character creation is done and story mode has been started
- ^ Bungie.net: The Taken King: Stormcaller
- ^ IGN, Bungie co-founder Destiny creator on Halo's greatest tragedy