Variks, The Loyal
|Variks, The Loyal|
|Political and military information|
Warden of the Prison of Elders
- "Variks is the funniest, most relatable Eliksni I've ever met. That's not a hard bar to clear, I'll grant you. But still. "
Variks, the Loyal is a Fallen warden of the Prison of Elders. He belongs to the House of Judgment, and has no loyalty to any members of the House of Wolves or any of the Kells. He is one of the few Fallen who has remained loyal to the Queen of the Reef, acting as one of her advisors. Variks sells Fallen-themed items to Guardians. Variks uses a modified servitor called the Warden to guard the Prison and communicate to Guardians.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Personality and Traits
- 3 Inventory
- 4 Quotes
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Notes
- 8 List of Appearances
- 9 References
The Reef Wars
- "House Winter, attack. House Devils, plot. House Kings, plan. House Wolves, circle. House Judgement...wait. "
Variks had lived among the House of Wolves as a scribe and witnessed the Uprising on Cybele under Skolas. Unable to abide the attack on civilians, he contacted the crows and helped put an end to the uprising, with Skolas being captured (It's likely that Variks already hated Skolas, as he claims he is responsible for the removal of his arms). From that day, Variks served the Queen, in an effort to keep the House of Judgment and its ancient traditions alive in the face of increasing degradation under the rule of the Kells.
The Wolf Rebellion
Hunting the Wolves
After the Queen provided aid to a Guardian of the Last City in finding the Black Garden, the Vanguard was granted access to the Vestian Outpost. Variks was introduced to the Guardian there, and he asked them to put a good word for him to Petra Venj. Soon after, the House of Wolves members who had proclaimed loyalty to the Queen rebelled following the breakout of many Wolf nobles from the Prison of Elders. Variks learned from his sources among the Fallen that Skolas was supposedly in charge of the rebellion. Meeting with the Queen and Petra, Variks informed them of his findings. Petra believed Skolas return was impossible, but Variks noted it mattered little if it was really him, as the Wolves feared the name Skolas and would rise against the Queen for him. He was then ordered by the Queen to continue questioning his contacts to find information on Skolas' possible whereabouts. They tracked him to Venus, where Skolas sought to bring the House of Winter under his control. Working with Petra and the Guardian, Variks provided information for them as they tracked the Kell. When they overheard him making a speech to the House of Winter, Variks translated his words and learned that Skolas had proclaimed himself Kell of Kells. He explained to the others that it was an old prophecy that one Fallen would lead all the Houses to victory as Kell of Kells, and speculated that Skolas either saw himself as a prophet or had gone mad. Skolas escaped Venus, and managed to bring a sizeable portion of the House of Winter under his control.
To track Skolas and the Wolves' movements, Variks and Petra had the Guardian bring him shiplinks carried by Vandals on Venus. Variks was unable to locate Skolas with the shiplinks, but was able to track The Silent Fang to Earth. Variks once again provided advice to the Guardian over the comms, noting that the House of Devils had also intercepted the Wolves' communications and had laid traps to prepare for the Wolves. The Guardian located the Silent Fang, and when their commander insulted them Variks began to provide a translation of the insult before thinking better of it.
With the Devils denied to Skolas, Variks and the others turned their attention to ensuring the would be Kell of Kells did not forge an alliance with the House of Kings. Having learned of a meeting between Barons of both Houses in the Cosmodrome, Variks and Petra once again served as guides for the Guardian. However, the Wolves used their High Servitors to jam their communication signals. Variks recognized the trick and bypassed it, allowing him to continue communicating with the Guardian. As he directed them to destroy the High Servitors, Variks explained some of his history to the Guardian, including how he was disgusted by Skolas' brutality. He also informed them he liked working with them and Petra. Once the Servitors were destroyed, Petra rejoined them on the comms, and Variks noted that the Kings would be able to detect the Wolves as well. However, he warned the Guardian that the Kings would not care that they were attempting to stop Skolas from taking them over and that they should kill them all just the same. Although the Guardian was successful in stopping the meeting and killing the Barons, Variks was left to wonder about Skolas' chances of succeeding in becoming Kell of Kells and capturing the Traveler. He considered that he may have chosen the wrong side and if it was too late to rejoin the Wolves, but Petra interrupted his thoughts with a report that the Wolves were infiltrating Vex networks on Venus. When the Guardian returned from Earth having eliminated the Barons, Variks rewarded them with a Royal Amethyst from the Queen's vaults and told them of the Wolves' return to Venus.
Ending the Rebellion
- "Things simple now, yes? We find Skolas, we put an end to Kell of Kells. Or... Wolves put an end to us."
As the Guardian headed to Venus, Variks was questioned by Petra about if there were any more Fallen Houses that Skolas could attempt to recruit. He dismissed the House of Exile, declaring they followed no Kell or Archon, and Petra suggested the House of Rain from the prophecies of the Kell of Kells. Variks explained to her that the House of Rain was destroyed in the Whirlwind and that only he kept their prophecies alive. He also noted that Skolas was the first to have declared themselves Kell of Kells, and that House Judgment was the closest to peace the Fallen had ever known. Petra joked that maybe that meant Variks was the Kell of Kells, but he became distracted by new reports of Skolas appearing on Venus. They discovered that Skolas' forces had breached the Vault of Glass, and Variks panicked when he realized that they were attempting to tap into the Oracles and quickly directed the Guardian to destroy them. Although the Guardian was successful, Variks and Petra both agreed that they needed to end their hunt for Skolas quickly before he gained access to Vex technology that could end them all.
They tracked Skolas to The Citadel, a massive Vex fortress at the heart of the Ishtar Sink. As the Guardian raced to stop him, Variks and Petra speculated on what Skolas wanted with Vex technology. Variks believed that with Vex weapons, Skolas might believe he could force the prophecy of him being the Kell of Kells to be true. When the Guardian ascended the Citadel, Variks commented that he had stood with Skolas for most of the Reef Wars, but now it felt right to be the Guardian and Petra to stand in judgment of Skolas. They discovered that Skolas was using the Vex warp gates at the top of the Citadel to pull the entire House of Wolves through time to him, granting him an army of near infinite size should he succeed. Variks translated Skolas' boast of having stolen the secrets of time and space and that the House of Wolves would reign forever, but the Guardian managed to defeat the Kell and Petra captured him for the Reef.
As Skolas was transported to the Prison of Elders, Variks went to his quarters to reflect on the Wolf Rebellion. He carved a amethyst with a dull shock dagger while listening to pre-Whirlwind music. Variks thought he should be pleased with the capture of Skolas due to the threat his madness represented, but was not, and instead felt like an ashamed Dreg for betraying his people. However, he knew that working for Queen Mara was the only way to keep himself alive and that he would betray Skolas again and again if it meant his survival.
When the Guardian returned to the Reef, Variks was pleased to have worked with them on passing judgment upon Skolas. He granted them a Treasure Key to the Prison of Elders and invited them to challenge his prisoners within for rewards.
The Taken War
When Uldren was believed to be dead Variks was given control of the Crows, and now he is using them to find the Kell of Kells in order to save the Fallen.
Master of Crows
- "Must be a better way for Eliksni. Must be a way to stop the Fall."
- —Variks, during the SIVA Crisis
Variks, using the Crows, observed the SIVA Crisis in the Plaguelands on Earth. One of his agents brought him an image of Sepiks Prime reborn as Sepiks Perfected by the Devil Splicers using SIVA. Variks noted this was the result of a Golden Age project using the technological advancements the Traveler provided humanity, and complimented the young Crow on her good work. He instructed her to speak with the other Crows and learn more of the Devil Splicers' plans. Once she left, Variks allowed himself to feel the full horror of what the Splicers had done to Sepiks. He contemplated once more if he could have stopped his people from using such dangerous technology had he remained among them and found a better way to survive, and resolved to find a way to prevent his people from falling any further.
Months later, during The Dawning, Variks intercepted chatter about an impending alliance between the weakened Devil Splicers and the leaderless crew of the mercenary Taniks, the Scarred. He discovered that the Devils Splicers used SIVA to resurrect their infamous leader as Taniks Perfected to cement their alliance. Variks relayed his findings to the Vanguard, leading to a Strike that ended the resurrected Taniks and once again left the Splicers and Taniks's crew leaderless and in a severely weakened state.
During the onset of the Red War, the Guardian and their Ghost wonder if Variks and the Reef encountered Dominus Ghaul and his Red Legion after coming across multiple banners belonging to the House of Judgement which the House of Dusk used as warning signs.
Personality and Traits
Variks wishes to see the Fallen restored to lawful, peaceful rule. He harbors some lingering jealousy for the other races, especially humanity, as the Traveler had chosen them for its patronage and left the Fallen with nothing, not even memories of former glory.
Prison of Elders Rewards
Rotates Weekly based around the lockout period.
|1||Class Items (1 Token of Judgment), Special Ammo Synthesis (1 ether seed, 100 glimmer)|
|2||Devil's Due BKR (Ship, 1 Token of Flight), Kingslayer BKR (Ship, 1 Token of Flight, Coldsnap BKR (Ship, 1 Token of Flight)|
|3||Kingswind (Shader, 1 Token of Identity)|
Vestian Outpost Quotes
- "What do you know...of the Nine, Guardian?"
- "The Eliksni call you fierce killer, taker of great ships!"
- "I took this staff long ago from Devil Captain Vajis, called Cle-ver-head-ed. He wasn't as clever as Variks."
- "You look ready to fight today."
- "Fallen, you call us. But we are Eliksni."
- "You call us Fallen, an unflattering name."
- "You call us the Fallen, but I am Variks of House Judgement."
- "You are going back to Earth now? Will you tell the City about Variks, friend?"
- "Tell me about your City, Guardian."
- "Did you come here for secrets, or stories?"
- "You all look the same sometimes, but your smell I know."
- "Send me your ship. I need the parts."
- "Are you going to your ship now? Where did you leave it? Is it in good condition?"
- "My service to the Queen is… com-pli-cated, Guardian."
- "We were great long ago… and strong, my House."
- "I assure, what you're hearing of me are lies."
- "Come below the Prison."
- "I'll show you a good fight. Keep you strong and quick."
- "Come here… come quiet."
- "Are you fighting today?"
- "Come, Killer of Wolves."
- "I shall help you."
- "Do you see how I help you?"
- "I help you, help me?"
- "You look ready to fight today?"
- "You bested Skolas. What follows?"
- "Many fights await you."
- "You are the greatest of warriors."
- "You are welcome, among my House."
- "I am of House Judgement, Guardian."
- "We are friends now."
- "Good, good."
- "Come here. I would have your scent."
- "Ah, I know you. I know your… smell."
- "Sssssh, come here."
- (unintelligible chattering, like a growl)
- "We are friends, yes, Guardian? Give me your Ghost."
- "Little Ghost… come out, come out…"
- "What does Petra need now?"
- "Did a Crow send you? Or Petra? That prince Uldren?"
- "Does the Great Machine speak to you, as it did to me?"
- "Listen long enough and you will hear stories of great Eliksni heroes. When the Great Machine was still with us."
- "Come here. What do you know of House Wolves?"
- "Are you looking for the Prison, Guardian?"
- "Not fighting today? Weak? Scared?"
- "I am loyal to the Queen, all else you've heard of me are lies."
- "I was a Judgement scribe long ago. I had much respect."
- "Be cautious about the Wolves up there, hiding."
- "You put on a good show for us, Guardian."
- "You and I friends, yes? I admire your ship…"
- "You're looking for Variks? You found Variks."
- "We captured a terrible Hive beast. Caught it in the Dark. Even I don't know what it is."
- "Just you? You need two friends. Strong ones."
- "You work for me and I help you."
- "We make a good team, no? I find Skolas, you fight Skolas. Tell Cayde he's no longer of use for Variks."
- "You caught Skolas. You brought him to Judgement. You are my friend and you can stand there if you want."
- "We catch all who seek to harm the Queen. You have the Crucible. We have Variks."
- "Are you staring at my arms, Guardian? Where Skolas cut me? Look away."
- "Tell me more of your Crucible. How you fight in the name of the Great Machine."
- "One day soon I'll tell you the story of how our world ended. I'll tell you the story of the Great Machine."
- "Tell me about about the City below the Tower."
- "Do you think the Great Machine has noticed what we did? Will it speak to me again? Tell me where the great Eliksni have gone?"
- "You watch me, I watch you."
- "All these Guardians here. Maybe I'll catch a Ghost and take it apart."
- "You! Machine! What chamber holds the new Cabal?"
- "He's been back to the Scatter. Tell the Queen, she must keep me safe."
- "And now we have Eramis, the Shipstealer, Baroness of Devils."
- "Tell the Queen I have news of Skolas."
- "Skolas once told me to stand still. Then he cut off my arms." (some dialogue lost)
- "You think you hate Wolves? I promise my hate is sharper."
- "Someone is looking for Variks, someone has questions."
- "Be sure to send word to the Queen."
- "Increase the ether feed to the Archon. He's been quite entertaining."
- "Why does the Queen hate you so? To make you watch Variks with such... vigilance."
- "You've traveled far from your Light, Guardian."
- "Do you want to know about the shape stealers? The wars for the Great Machine?"
- "You like my things?"
- "You work for me. And I will help you."
- "You tell Variks if you find Skolas. You tell Variks first."
Prison of Elders Quotes
- "Fight. Kill. Survive."
- "Fight. Win. Live."
- "Impress me, yes? Fight and win!"
- "Impress me, yes?"
- "Prepare for combat."
After Introducing an Enemy
- "They will want to kill you. Kill them back."
- "They will try to kill you. Kill them back."
- "Kill them dead, Guardian."
After Round is Complete
- "Return/Retreat to airlock, Guardian..."
- "Go back to airlock, yes?"
When sending a Heavy Ammo crate or Scorch Cannon
Announcing New Wave
- "Reinforcements. Ready for combat."
- "Reinforcements are coming."
- "Enemies advance."
- "More enemies, Guardian."
- "Be ready. More enemies on the way."
- "More enemies have been unleashed."
Announcing Important Objective
- "Dismantle mines, yes? Or... you die..."
- "Mines must be dismantled. Or death."
- "Intercept important target. Or, you die."
After Important Objective
- "Success, Guardian, success."
- "Success. You have done it."
- "Fallen of the Wolf Banner march to war..."
- "You face Fallen pirate scum."
- "Hive spawn claw their way towards your Light."
- "Bonewalkers of the Hive await."
- "Hive, creatures of the Darkness, arise."
- "Foot soldiers of the Cabal rise to the challenge."
- "Warbeasts of the Cabal await."
- "Time lost Vex arise."
- "Vex incursion. Meld of mind and machine".
- "Servants of Oryx unleashed!"
- "Taken come, want your Light."
- "Taken advance on your position."
- "A servant of Oryx hungers for your Light."
- "Taken approach, beware."[note 1]
Introducing Generic Bosses
- "Urrox the Flame Prince, scion of Oryx."
- "Valus Trau'ug, Cabal Juggernaut."
- "Cabal strategist Val Aru'un."
- "The Wretched Knight. Dark blade of the Hive."
- "The Overmind Minotaur."
- "Pilot Servitor of a war-wracked Fallen Ketch."
After each Round
- "Victory. Well earned."
- "Your victory tells the tale."
- "Enemies die. You live. Well done."
- "They are dead. You are not."
End of Prison of Elders
- "Taste victory. It is sweet. You have won."
- "You fought, you won. Your treasure awaits."
Shadow Thief Quotes
- "Taniks has no House. He kneels before no banner, owes allegiance to no Kell. He is a murderer, and very good at what he does. I have been tracking him since Wolves broke their chains, yes? Now Taniks works for Wolf pack, but not for long..."
- "Taniks has been sent to plunder the Hive. Your job, just as simple: Avenge the dead. Stop him from stealing the Dark."
- "Taniks sees you not as an enemy—you are a trophy to collect."
- "Watch yourself. Taniks is no common mercenary. He fights to fulfill a contract and hone his combat skill for... fun."
- "Be cautious as you confront him. He will to try trick you. Fight. Win"
- "I remember Taniks from the Reef Wars. Many Awoken dead. Clever, clever creature."
- "Lift field distortion! Ketch just above you!"
- "Taniks has called you out, Guardian... You are challenged in the ways of old...Fight well Guardian, fight... for honor."
- "Notorious mercenary dead. No small matter. You will be rewarded treasure from the Queen. And my respect, as well."
Wolves of Mars Quotes
- "Reef different now. Petra mauled by grief, loss of her Queen. Same for House Wolves. Banner is torn, Kell is dead. And so they seek at cave to call home."
- "Fallen Houses must hunt, prowl, scavenge, defend. House Devils has Earth. House Winter has Venus. And now Wolves claim Mars. Cabal will not be pleased."
- "As do I. Wolves here broken, but still more remain."
- "Was looking, searching for new Wolf Kell. Could not find one. Could not understand House Wolves tactics... bad tactics. Fight Cabal? (laughs) Could not find new Kell because there is no Kell. House Wolves follows a new god, a Servitor, a Prime. This is a pilgrimage, Guardian. And for faith, they will stop at nothing."
- "Guardian, they have rebuilt Prime. House Wolves machine god of old. Destroy it. Destroy it fast!"
- "Prime is dead. House Wolves will scatter. With no god, no Kell, House is broken once again. Hopefully this time, for good."
Lost to Light Quotes (Daily Heroic only)
- "Guardian, this is Variks. Detected signal. Detected you. Ketch out of Fallen hands. Watch your back."
- "Taken will not rest. Will claim every house. Consume every banner. You must stand, Guardian, yes? Or all shall fall."
- Variks is voiced by Dee Bradley Baker who voiced The Gravemind in the Halo series.
- Variks is the only non-hostile Fallen that Guardians can interact with.
- He will sometimes call other Fallen "pirate scum."
- His upper arms are artificial; this is the reverse of normal Fallen practice, to amputate the lower two arms on Dregs.
- He is the first Fallen observed fluently speaking the human language. His voice still has a distinct growl characteristic of a Fallen.
- Variks likely has contact with Cayde-6 concerning Prison of Elders inmates. Both mention knowing each other, most likely through the bounty placed on the escaped prisoner Aksor, Archon Priest.
- ^ This quote is voiced over by the above one, and has no audio to date.
- ^ The Seditious Mind does not have its own unique introduction
List of Appearances
- Destiny 2 (Mentioned only)
- ^ Planet Destiny: Quest Step: Talk to Variks
- ^ Bungie.net: House of Wolves
- ^ Planet Destiny: Complete "Reef Reveal" Recap
- ^ Bungie (2015-5-19), Destiny: House of Wolves, PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Variks, The Loyal
- ^ a b c Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, House of Wolves (quest)
- ^ Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: The Hunt for Skolas
- ^ Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves, Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, A Kell Rising
- ^ Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Gone to Ground
- ^ Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, The Silent Fang
- ^ Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, The Ruling House
- ^ Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves, Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: The Ruling House
- ^ Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: The Kell of Kells
- ^ Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Wolves' Gambit
- ^ Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Queen's Ransom
- ^ Bungie (2014/5/19), Destiny: House of Wolves Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Skolas: Captured
- ^ Bungie (2015-9-19), Destiny: The Taken King, PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: The Wolves of Mars
- ^ a b Bungie (2016-9-20), Destiny: Rise of Iron, PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Ghost Fragments: Fallen 5
- ^ Bungie (2016-9-20), Destiny: Rise of Iron, PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: The Shadow Thief: Revisited
- ^ Bungie (2015-5-19), Destiny: House of Wolves, PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Skolas: Defeated
- ^ https://heavy.com/games/2018/06/destiny-2-forsaken-interview-uldren-the-scorn-post-game-content/amp/?__twitter_impression=true