- "You are a Captain. The only thing between your band and asphyxiation. Every Dreg and Vandal counts on you. All of them want to be you. Your entire life is a performance: you play at strength, or you die of weakness. [...] Everything that sees your banners and your riches wants to kill you and take what you have. If you cannot hide yourself, you must make them blind. There is a knife for you. It is shaped like [you cannot find me]. Take up the knife. Breathe the blade. Take your new shape."
- — Grimoire description
The Taken Captain is a type of Taken Fallen that sends out moving balls of Darkness to blind Guardians. They use either an Arc Shrapnel Launcher or Arc Shock Blades, and are Solar-shielded. They can quickly teleport to evade incoming attacks much like their non-Taken counterpart.
A Taken Captain's Darkness Bolt has several unique properties: fast velocity, infinite range, can travel through walls, uses a large hitbox, can penetrate through multiple targets, hits the same target twice, causes blindness and deafness, and can suppress a Guardian's Super, even when the Super meter is fully charged. To make sure that they have plenty of opportunities to use this attack, a Taken Captain will rapidly teleport to another position. This makes them all the more difficult to dispose of.
Known Taken Captains
- Asterion, Set Apart—Taken Captain: The Shattered Throne
- Crorok, Will of Xivu Arath—Taken Captain: Broken Courier
- Drensik, Venom of Oryx—Taken Captain: Sunbreaker quest
- Drevis, Aspect of Darkness–Taken Captain: The Whisper
- Driviks, the Chosen—Taken Captain: Lost to Light mission (Heroic Daily Story version only)
- Eriviks, the Waking—Taken Captain: The Shattered Throne
- Falsek, Lost to Oryx—Taken Captain: Dock 13, Earth
- Grayris, Baroness—Taken Captain: The Shattered Coast, Venus
- Irxori, Lost to Oryx—Taken Captain: Skywatch, Earth
- Karakis Taken Enforcer—Taken Captain: Off-World Recovery mission
- Keksis, the Betrayed—Taken Captain: Prison of Elders arena
- Kiphoris, Devil Captain—Taken Captain: Fallen S.A.B.E.R. Strike
- Kophoris-Taken Captain: Fallen S.A.B.E.R. Strike
- Lhoks, Exile Baron—Taken Captain: The Cinders, Venus
- Nixis, Hunger of Oryx—Taken Captain: Winter's Run (Taken version) Strike
- Savriks, Riven's Patience—Taken Captain: Beyond The Watchtower mission
- Teksis, Ascendant Sentinel–Taken Captain: Dark Monastery
- The Odynom—Taken Captain: The Oracle Engine
- Vakarsik, Grasp of Quria—Taken Captain: Rift Generator Public Event
- Vendraxis, Shadow of Oryx—Taken Captain: Hallowed Grove, European Dead Zone
- Veselliks Lightkiller—Taken Captain: Off-World Recovery mission
- Among the Destiny community the Taken Captain has become infamous for its rapid teleportation and proliferate usage of Darkness Bolts. This is especially true in missions like Paradox and Lost to Light where the player has to fight them in close quarters. The Prison of Elders boss Keksis, the Betrayed is also reviled for continuously spamming these abilities.
List of appearances