Lost to Light
From Destinypedia, the Destiny wiki
- "The fabric of our world puckers and tears around the Dreadnaught. The seams of this fabric are the ruptures, cracks that allow Oryx to walk as he wills. Toland can be our guide. Even in death."
- — Eris Morn
|Lost to Light|
Steal Crota's Soul
Destinypedia doesn't currently have a walkthrough for this level, could you write it?
Lost to Light is the fifth story mission in The Taken King. In order to enter the Ascendant Realm of Oryx, the Guardian must become Ascendant. To accomplish this, Eris Morn advises the Guardian to retrieve the essence of an Ascendant Hive. The first step is acquiring a shard of the crystal that the Hive use to contain their souls; fortunately, one such shard can be found in the Chamber of Night, where the Soul of Crota was defeated.
- Find the Chamber of Night
- Baxx, The Gravekeeper
- Steal the Crystal
- Escape the Hellmouth
- Explore the Ketch (Heroic Difficulty only)
- Kill the Taken (Heroic Difficulty only)
A drawing of Crota starts to form on the screen, and is quickly surrounded by another drawing of his father, Oryx. His sword is illustrated below them.
- Eris: But Crota was only a servant of the father, sent to extinguish the last of the Light.
The illustration withdraws, and creates another caricature of Crota, in a more detailed pose.
- Eris: The great battle fought for the soul of our world ended in slaughter.
From opposite sides, three lines point towards the direction of Crota, each with a basic design of a ship, signifying the fall of Crota at the hands of six Guardians.
- Eris: The Son was dead...
Crota's image fades, and briefly transforms into the symbol of Oryx, before turning into an image of his head.
- Eris: ...and we invited the wrath of Oryx: Destroyer of Light, Taker of Will. Only Ascendant Hive move between Ruptures.
Oryx's portrait disappears, and is replaced with a drawing of The Dreadnaught's weapon chamber
- Eris: To reach Oryx, you must walk in the dying footsteps of his son.
The drawing disappears and the screen fades to black.
- Eris: You must become Ascendant.
The Guardian finds themselves in the Circle of Bones, underneath the surface of the Moon. They make their way towards the Chamber of Night.
- Eris: Hold fast to Toland, the Shattered's journal—it saw me through my time in the dark.
- Cayde-6: Hold fast to your gun, Guardian—you're headed back to the chamber where they held Crota's soul. All right... Here's what needs to happen: We have to steal a chunk of Hive crystal that's still got a trace of Crota's soul so you can pass through an interdimensional portal on the Dreadnaught and kill Oryx. I leave... anything out, Eris?
- Eris: It must be done before Oryx turns his scrying eye to this realm.
- Cayde: Good luck, Guardian.
The Guardian continues into the Chamber, down the darkened hallways beyond.
- Ghost: Toland's journal contains an impressive amount of data. I should probably read it... (short pause) Done. Some of this stuff is fascinating!
The Ghost plays an excerpt for the Guardian:
- Toland: The Dreadnaught shields the Hive from the Traveler's light. Were we to pass through its deepest layers... our Light would be as a dying sun.
- Ghost:(whispers) I don't think Toland was much fun at parties.
The Guardian spots dozens of Thrall, silently feeding on piles of human bones. They are eerily silent, save for the crunching of teeth against the remnants picked clean. Unless the Guardian disturbs them, they continue eating quietly.
- Eris: If the Thrall still feed, Crota's essence must endure.
The Ghost scans one of the piles of bones:
- Ghost: I've always wondered what chewed through these bones... There's no microbial life here capable of decomposing organic matter. I guess the Thrall are the closest thing the Moon has to flesh-eating bacteria.
The Guardian continues, familiar with the path. They come across a large stone, rough on one side, but impeccably smoothed on another. Using the newly acquired scanning ability, the Ghost checks it out.
- Ghost: Let me see if Toland's journal has anything:
- Toland: Theses stones... always in their combat arenas. Do they have a strengthening function? Or are they mere legacy of a forgotten time and realm? The Hive never stopped honing their strength; they have missed the point of being dead. (laughs deliriously, sighs) I've heard it said that that which does not kill you makes you stronger, but... what does this mean in the face of immortality?
The Guardian reaches the ritual site where the Hive previously tried to waken Crota's soul. A few pieces of the crystal sit in the middle of the cave. As the Guardian approaches, however, a Hallowed Ogre—Baxx, the Gravekeeper—charges from behind the cave walls and attacks the Guardian. They fight the Ogre, weakening it to the point of near death, when suddenly an orb of blight appears behind Baxx, and though it struggles, the orb takes control of it completely and disappears.
- Ghost: (shocked) It's gone... Oryx just took an Ogre!
- Eris: Not even Oryx can control an Ogre... unless it's Taken. Now quickly, find me a shard of that crystal!
The Guardian proceeds to the largest chunk of crystal available, and removes a piece for themselves.
- Ghost: We got it!
- Eris: I knew it could be done... and does it still hold the whisper of Crota's soul?
- Ghost: According to my analysis, it's empty.
- Eris: No matter. Return to me, Guardian... (the comms signal starts to dissipate, and Eris' speech becomes scratchy) and we will destroy...
Eris' signal is lost completely. The Guardian turns toward the entrance to find a wall of Darkness, trapping them inside. Something has gone horribly wrong.
- Cayde: (Guardian), we're losing (you)... Guardian can you hea...(Cayde's signal is cut as well)
- Ghost: Eris...? Cayde?? I think we've lost them. Something's blocking our signal and our transmat.
A screeching howl is heard, and fog materializes within the cave. It quickly takes the shape of Oryx, eyes glowing furiously.
- Oryx: Infection! Your Light dies here!!
A Taken Blight explodes, and Baxx, the Ogre that was just defeated by the Guardian and taken by Oryx, now stands in front of the crystal. Now known as Baxx, Hand of Oryx, the Taken Ogre is also surrounded by heavily shielded Taken Wizards. Newly transformed, Baxx is completely invulnerable to any attacks and runs toward the Guardian at an impossibly fast speed.
- Ghost: (desperately) There's too many of them! Run!!
If the Guardian foolishly stays or attempts to fight, the Ghost will insistently repeat these phrases at random until they either leave or succumb to their wounds:
- Ghost: I can keep reviving you, but maybe we should start running!!
- Ghost: (panicked) Eris survived; her Ghost didn't! Can we get out of here!?
- Ghost: If we don't go now, we'll never get the crystal out of here!
- Ghost: (frightened) Can we please leave now?
- Ghost: We'd better get to the surface!
The Guardian finally takes off in the opposite direction, running back the way they came. Hordes of Taken are at every turn, attempting to kill or slow down the Guardian as best as they can. The Guardian and Ghost finally make it back to the Chamber of Night, seemingly deserted. The Guardian stops to rest, while Ghost tries to re-establish contact:
- Ghost: Eris, Cayde, can you hear us!? (no response) Still no connection! This must be how the Hive trapped Eris...
The Guardian finds a thinly spread group of Taken guarding the door to The World's Grave, which now has a lock on it.
- Ghost: The Taken have locked us in. Let me check it out.
The Ghost investigates the lock on the door.
Ghost: Doors used to be so simple... I'll search the journal.
Toland: It has long been my belief that the binds which hold the gravest Hive terrors could be lifted by releasing the energy stored within their Tomb Husks.
Exploring the area, The Guardian finds a Tomb Husk nearby and picks it up.
- Ghost: (conveniently) Hey, a Tomb Husk!
The Guardian takes the Husk to the door. It shines brightly, and the lock is disintegrated. The door opens.
- Ghost: (impressed) Remind me to make copies of this journal!
The Guardian finds a heavier Taken presence in the Grave. More enemies, including a Taken Wizard, guard another locked door.
- Ghost: (sighs wearily) They've warded it with two locks this time!
The Guardian finds the Husks, one on a ledge near their entrance, and another in a small room guarded by a Taken Knight. They take them and place them in front of the doors one at a time, and it opens. The Guardian continues, making their way to the bowels of the Temple of Crota.
- Eris: (heavy static) We're going to lose him/her... just like Eriana...
- Ghost: That's Eris! The connection is getting stronger.
A Tomb Husk sits outside of the Seeder room. If the Guardian picks it up:
Ghost: Better to have a Tomb Husk and not need it, than to need a Tomb Husk and not have it.
A large cluster of Taken are in this area, most of them are Captains and Vandals. Not surprisingly, the next door has three locks on it.
- Ghost: (annoyed) Three locks. Well, you can't say they aren't trying.
The Guardian wipes out the Taken, but finds another door leading somewhere else. There are no locks, but the door won't budge. The Ghost investigates:
- Ghost: The Fallen left their dirty fingerprints all over this door. What were they doing here? We just missed them...
The Guardian continues, locating Tomb Husks and using them to disable the locks. Finally, the last door blocking them from escape opens. The Guardian runs for their life, and Eris and Cayde's signals comes in clear:
- Eris: (Guar)dian?? Get out of that pit! We must have that crystal or we'll never reach Oryx!
The Guardian sprints, avoiding Taken enemies of all variety, until they finally reach the exterior of the Temple; The Guardian is on the surface of the Moon once again.
- Cayde: Guardian, is that you??
- Ghost: We made it out!
- Eris: Then the Taken King will fall. Bring me his dead son's crystal.
- Cayde: That's how Eris says "she appreciates your sacrifice." Glad you're still alive.
Alternatively, if the Guardian makes it to the final rune set alive, the previously locked door will be open. You will need a tomb husk though to get through for some reason. This leads to the Dusk Warren, with Fallen assets and the Traitor's Ketch still in their places.
- Ghost: Strange. I'm picking up a Fallen distress signal.
The Guardian boards the seemingly deserted Wolfship. It is covered in puddles of Taken blight. Variks suddenly appears and addresses the Guardian:
- Variks, the Loyal: Guardian, this is Variks. Detected signal. Detected you. Ketch out of Fallen hands. Watch your back.
Countless Taken Fallen, likely unfortunate Wolves, appear, led by their Captains and several Knights. The Guardian is given ten minutes to battle through the grueling mass of Taken with the most infamous abilities: blinding and mortar. At the end, a large Fallen Captain appears: Driviks, the Chosen. If the Taken leader is eliminated in time, the player will be awarded the Black Spindle. Variks once again begins talking to the Guardian:
- Variks: Taken will not rest. Will claim every house. Consume every banner. You must stand, Guardian, yes? Or all shall fall.
- Taken Thrall
- Taken Acolyte
- Taken Goblin
- Taken Hobgoblin
- Taken Psion
- Taken Phalanx
- Taken Wizard
- Taken Bosses
- Baxx, the Gravekeeper
- Driviks, the Chosen (Heroic Difficulty only)
- Sarkoor (Heroic Difficulty only)
- Lost to Light, along with Paradox, are two story missions in The Taken King that have alternate endings when they are featured as the Daily Heroic Story mission. In Lost to Light's alternate ending, while fleeing the Hellmouth, players can enter the normally-sealed Traitor's Ketch instead of following the regular path. Once aboard, players have ten minutes to clear the ship of numerous Taken enemies, including a Taken Captain boss. Successfully defeating all enemies before the time expires will reward the Black Spindle, with a slight chance of also rewarding the Jumpship "Vienna Singer".
- As of June 14, 2016, the mission was updated to allow players to access the Alternate at any time.
- Lost to Light is the first occurrence where an NPC identifies the Guardian by their gender during a mission.
- ^ Bungie (2015-2-24), Destiny: Activision Blizzard
- ^ Guide Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_gCwdLoQXw
- ^ Bungie: Destiny Update - 6/14/2016