- "Death flies on tarnished wings."
- —Grimoire description
Shanks are small floating drones employed by the Fallen as scouts, fire support or to serve as a distraction. They are propelled by a pair of vertical jet engines which allow them to both fly and hover in the air. Standard shanks are only equipped with a weak Arc-based weapon and are rather fragile in that they can be destroyed in only a few shots. Although, during Nightfall Strikes and certain Public Events, Shanks can have a Solar shield making them more difficult to dispatch. Individually they are little more than a nuisance, but they are often found in swarms or as part of a larger group of Fallen which makes them considerably more dangerous. They can also be spawned during battles with Fallen Walkers.
In addition to the standard Shanks, some Fallen Houses also employ different varieties which possess different characteristics. For example, the House of Wolves utilize Repeater Shanks, which act as fire support, Exploder Shanks, which act as a kamikaze unit, and Tracer Shanks, which act as snipers.
- Repeater Shank—also known as a Turret Shank, it has a larger weapon and a higher rate of fire.
- Exploder Shank—Shank that rushes Guardians and detonates when in close proximity.
- Tracer Shank—Shank armed with a Wire Rifle. Employed frequently by House of Wolves and House of Dusk.
- Heavy Shank—Large, heavily armored Shank equipped with dual machine guns. Mainly employed by House of Dusk.
- Pit Shank
- Elite Pit Shank
- Elder Pit Shank—Heroic Difficulty
- Noble Pit Shank
- Noble Shank—Epic Difficulty (Solar Shield)
- Splicer Shank
- Reaver Shank—Major
- Sensor Shank
- Sniper Shank
- Surveillance Shank
- Resilient Shank
- Scavenged Shank
List of appearances
- ^ Bungie (2014/9/9), Destiny: Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Shank
- ^ E3 2013 YouTube: Destiny Gameplay Demo
- ^ Bungie.net: Building the Destiny E3 Reveal