|Political and military information|
|“||We don't have much time.||”|
The Exo Stranger is an Exo that roams the wild without a Ghost. Her purpose and intentions are unknown, but she appears to be interested in the player's activities and keeps tabs on them when they venture outside of the City. 
- "I've followed this Light as far back as it goes."
- — RECORD 472 - BRIDGE - 2.1
The Stranger appears to be working for an unknown faction who know more about the war against the Darkness than Guardians do. She possesses much technology that even Ghosts don't fully understand; she is capable of appearing and disappearing out of reality, and her weapon has parts that "shouldn't yet exist." Those who have seen her are divided on who she is: some claim she is the remains of a forgotten Exo squadron fighting a long ago war while others believe her intervention has saved their lives. A few believe she is a hallucination caused by exposure to Vex technologies.
At an unknown time she encountered Rasputin, who recognized her but did not understand her purpose; and thus asks her how he could imitate her. This meeting may have occurred during one her numerous reappearances to stave off an unknown future, as in another point in time—or times—she observes the Traveler and the Last City falling to numerous unknown enemies, and among the dead sees herself appearing occasionally.
She became interested in the Guardian after going to the Moon numerous times, expecting the Vex and the Black Heart but instead encountering the Hive, an enemy who has much in common "with the machines than [ordinary] enemies alone." She concludes that the Moon was their "black heart", and that it led to the same end she wished to stop. After witnessing an unknown Fireteam of Guardians stopping the ritual in the Chamber of Night, calling it an "extraction", she went back in time to the rediscovery of the Hive, finding another Guardian, whose Ghost mentioned Venus. Believing this particular Guardian to be "the one", she went backwards in time again, following the Ghost to the Cosmodrome, intent on watching for her own purposes. This purpose is apparently that they have succeeded where others have failed, which may be stopping the Black Garden and the Heart. This is later borne out as being true, and she presents them with her personal weapon to aid them in the coming fight before vanishing.
- "It's not every day you get a transmission from a mysterious Exo who claims to know us and wants us to go to Venus and…things are getting weird, aren't they?"
- — Ghost
The Stranger is first seen watching as the player escapes from the Cosmodrome. On the Moon she is spotted again by the player, looking down at them from the rocks that line the edge of the gorge where they are attempting to gain entrance to the Temple of Crota. When the player is about to enter the Chamber of Night to save the Traveler from a Hive ritual, she is able to send a transmission to them telling them they need to see her on Venus. There, she delivers a mysterious warning to the player. She is the one who warns them about the imminent Vex threat, and that the only way to heal the Traveler is to destroy the heart in the Black Garden.
The Stranger appears in the following missions during cutscenes:
In the mission A Stranger's Call, she was talking to an unknown person or group of persons, whose identity has yet to be revealed. Additionally, according to the flavor text of the last quest step in the "Not Forged From the Light" quest, Praedyth or his Ghost may have seen her at some point. This is implied to have been a recurring occurrence. While she is completely absent in the Taken King campaign, she plays a pivotal role in investigating the odd fate of Praedyth and the effects Oryx brought to the Vex. Eventually her rifle, not worn but enhanced by time itself, surfaces in the hands of the Future War Cult researchers as No Time to Explain, who give it to the Guardian. With contradictory clues on the rifle's origin, the truth behind it may never be known.
- "Well fought… Many Guardians fell… … Strong ones… … But you made it here… … Don't let them find you…"
- "I wasn't talking to you, little Light" (speaking to the player's Ghost) 
- "I believe where our paths cross, ground... could break."
- "It doesn't matter who you were, only what you will become."
- "Ah yes. The Awoken. Out there, wavering between the Light and the Dark. A side should always be taken, little Light... Even if it's the wrong side."
- "I don't even have time to explain why I don't have time to explain."
- The Exo Stranger is voiced by Lauren Cohan.
- The Stranger appeared in the original storyline of Destiny. In this version, she was the assistant of Osiris.
- The Stranger's line "I don't even have time to explain why I don't have time to explain" has become a meme in the Destiny community as a symbol of the base game's lack of coherent story.
- With the introduction of Warmind and the information found in the lore tab for the expansion's exotics, lost memories, and a puzzle in Rasputin's chamber, the Exo Stranger's identity is believed to be Elsie Bray, Ana Bray's adoptive older sister. This theory has yet to be officially confirmed by Bungie.
The Exo Stranger in the Ishtar Academy
The Exo Stranger, looking down at the Player from the rocks near the edge of the Hellmouth.
List of appearances
- Bungie (2014/9/9), Destiny: Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, A Stranger's Call
- Bungie (2014/9/9), Destiny: Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: The Exo Stranger
- Bungie (2015/9/15), Destiny: The Taken King Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Ghost Fragment: The Exo Stranger 2
- Bungie (2014/9/9), Destiny: Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, The Black Garden
- Bungie (2014/9/9), Destiny, PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, Item Description, The Stranger's Rifle
- Bungie (2014/9/9), Destiny: Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Ghost Fragment: Rasputin 4
- Bungie (2014/9/9), Destiny: Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Ghost Fragment: The Exo Stranger
- Destiny: Official E3 Gameplay Experience Trailer
- Bungie (2014/9/9), Destiny: Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Item Description, A Stranger's Call
- Bungie (2014/7/17), Destiny: Beta PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard.
- Bungie (2014/9/9), Destiny: Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, The Dark Beyond
- YouTube - Destiny Beta Moon Gameplay! The Dark Beyond Story Mission
- Bungie (2014/9/9), Destiny: Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Chamber of Night
- Bungie (2015/9/15), Destiny: The Taken King Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Item Description, Talk to Lakshmi-2
- Bungie (2015/9/15), Destiny: The Taken King Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: No Time To Explain
- YouTube - Destiny Limited Edition Unboxings (Including Digital Guardian and Ghost) - IGN First
- Kotaku - The Messy, True Story Behind The Making Of Destiny