The playstyle of Gambit Prime is almost completely the same as its predecessor. Players kill enemies to gather Motes of Darkness, fill the bank, and defeat a Primeval There are however, three mechanics that set Gambit Prime apart. First, there is only one round played instead of two to three. Players must fill the bank with 100 motes - instead of Gambit's 75 - to summon the Primeval, and whoever defeats the Primeval first wins the match. Second, players can't simply attack the Primeval once it's summoned like before. The Taken Ultra will have an immunity shield around it, and players must find and kill Primeval Envoys that appear to break the shield. Once all of the envoys are dead and the shield is down, a Well of Light appears that grants the Primeval Slayer buff for increased damage. Players have 30 seconds to attack the Primeval, after which the buff disappears, the shield returns, and new envoys spawn to restart the process. The Primeval Slayer buff stacks each time a Well is created, so the damage boost increase the more times a team creates a Well. Lastly, motes can be stolen from the enemy bank and placed into yours if two or more blockers are alive on the enemy side. This allows teams to slow the enemy's progression while increasing their own.
Invasion in Gambit works on the same principle as standard Gambit. Each time a quarter of the bank is filled, the Invasion portal opens. Players can enter the enemy side, kill opponents to deny motes, and steal motes for their team. Once the Primeval is summoned, the enemy team's portal opes regularly, approximately one minute after an Invader returns.
Gambit Prime players can take on certain roles to help the team summon the Primeval and win matches. To supplement this, a point there are special armor sets earned by playing The Reckoning that grant perks that improve their ability to fulfill their roles. Equipping pieces of armor grant points that accumulate to unlock perks for each role. The armor comes in three stages, with each one granting more points than the last. Illicit Armor grants one point per piece, Outlawed Armor grants two, and Notorious Armor grants three.
A Prime Team's enemy clearing machine, whose focus is to create as many motes as possible for the rest of the team to gather.
- High-Value Tracker - Requires three or more Reaper points. Damaging a high-value target or non-Primeval boss marks it and weakens it for allies.
- Pinata of Death - Requires six or more Reaper points. Rapidly defeating multiple combatants drops Special Ammo for allies
- Long-Lasting Flavor - Requires 10 or more Reaper points. Motes you generate have an increased lifetime.
- Major Rewards - Requires 15 or more Reaper points. Defeating powerful enemies grants a temporary surge in grenade recharge rate.
The team's mote gatherer, who gathers and deposits Motes of Darkness to quickly send blockers.
- Inheritance - Requires three or more Collector points. Drop a portion of your carried Motes on death.
- Umbral Armor - Requires six or more Collector points. Rapidly picking up 5 motes grants an overshield.
- Cashback - Requires 10 or more Collector points. Gain Kinetic and Energy ammo whenever you bank.
- High-Yield Savings - Requires 15 or more Collector points. Carry up to 20 Motes. This enables you to send Giant Blockers to the enemy team.
The team defender, whose focus is dispatching blockers and fighting Primevals.
- Umbral Strike - Requires three or more Sentry points. Multikills grant a damage buff against Taken. Clears when you damage a Taken combatant. Stacks up to 5x.
- Safe and Sound - Requires six or more Sentry points. Standing near the bank triggers health regeneration.
- Invader Tracker - Requires 10 or more Sentry points. Damaging an Invader marks them for your teammates.
- Light of the Defender - Requires 15 or more Sentry points. You and nearby allies are granted maximum resilience, mobility, and recovery while in the Well of Light.
The team assassin, who invades constantly to delay enemy progress.
- Assassin's Munitions - Requires three or more Invader points. While invading, ammo slowly trickles to your Kinetic and Energy weapons over time.
- Lethal Defense - Requires six or more Invader points. Grants an improved Invasion overshield.
- Killmonger - Requires 10 or more Invader points. Each Guardian defeated while Invading. grants a temporary damage bonus once you return to your own arena.
- Bank Robber - Requires 15 or more Invader points. Invading locks the enemy's bank. Stand near the locked bank to drain motes.
List of Maps
|Map||Location||Expansion||PlayStation Exclusive||Destiny Reprisal|
|Deep Six||New Pacific Arcology, Titan||Joker's Wild||No||Original|
|New Arcadia||Hellas Basin, Mars||Joker's Wild||No||Original|
|Emerald Coast||European Dead Zone, Earth||Forsaken||No||Original|
|Legion's Folly||Arcadian Valley, Nessus||Forsaken||No||Original|