The Last Word
- This article is a stub. You can help Destinypedia by expanding it.
- "Yours…not mine."
- — Renegade Hunter Shin Malphur to Dredgen Yor
The Last Word is an exotic hand cannon first introduced in Destiny Year One. A Year Two version of The Last Word is available in The Taken King. The Last word excels in Crucible because of its' fast rate of fire and high impact. This hand cannon has been nerfed from its Year 1 itineration, with changes made to a bug that made it deal over 100 damage per headshot and would kill an enemy Guardian with only two shots. The current Year 3 version still retains the signature firing but now takes between 3 to 5 shots to kill an enemy Guardian.
The Last Word belonged to the Hunter Jaren Ward. It takes its name from the exchange between himself and the petty tyrant Loken. After Jaren's death, the gun passed to his adoptive son Shin Malphur, who used it in his legendary showdown with the fallen Guardian Dredgen Yor.
Unlike most hand cannons, the Last Word can be fired rapidly without taking your finger off the trigger at the cost significant recoil. One of its special upgrades, The Last Word, increases accuracy and damage from hip-fire shots.
In Year 2, the Last Word's signature ability returns, lacking the previously given damage boost for hip fire, the rest of the weapon remains unchanged (Excluding its inclusion in Year 2's Infusion system)
The Last Word returns in Black Armory and was unlocked for all players on January 29, 2019. Unlike Thunderlord's quest after Festival of the Lost, it is not time-gated and can be obtained at any time. Like its Destiny incarnation, The Last Word is a short-range, full-auto hand cannon that is meant to be hip-fired. Its Fan Fire exotic perk increases reload speed and stability with each successive hit as long as it is hip-fired, and its low time-to-kill at close to mid range makes it the perfect answer to shotguns. The Fan Fire buff wears off if the gun is ADSed. Unfortunately, The Last Word comes with a magazine size of eight bullets, so, unlike hand cannons such as Ace of Spades, Luna's Howl, or Not Forgotten, it will run out of ammo very quickly. On console or controller, the gun has a lot of recoil, so it is recommended to compensate for it unless playing with a mouse and keyboard on PC. It is also highly recommended to pair this weapon with a long-range weapon such as a sniper rifle or a combat bow.
- The Last Word has been labeled as the "yang" of the Destiny universe (as opposed to the Thorn, which is the "yin").
- When firing, the player will "fan" the gun with their left hand, a technique associated with old western single-action revolvers.
|Browse more images on this article's gallery page.|
List of appearances
- Bungie (2014-9-9), Destiny, PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Ghost Fragment: The Dark Age 2
- Bungie (2014-9-9), Destiny, PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Ghost Fragment: The Last Word 3
- Bungie (2014-9-9), Destiny, PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: The Last Word
- Bungie Podcast - September 2013