From Destinypedia, the Destiny wiki
Prometheus Lens is an Exotic Solar Trace Rifle introduced in the Curse of Osiris expansion for Destiny 2. The weapon generates a damage field of intense heat the longer it is fired, and kills return a fraction of ammo spent (Around 1/3).
How's it work? Ha! The underlying principles are quite simple, really. The gun's pyreliophorite crystal—
Photovoltaic? It means "regarding the conversion of light into electricity."
No, no, the gun doesn't create electricity; the gun induces an external combustion reaction. It's perovskite that—
I just explained the perovskite! If you'd stop interrupting—
Wait. I remember you. You're one of Cayde's Hunters! Get out of here! Shoo! The Cryptarchy wants nothing to do with you!
This trace rifle can be used effectively to clear out lots of low-health enemies, along with damaging Majors with solar shields and Ultras with the weapon's heat field. With a recent 10% damage buff in Update 2.1.0, it performs very good in both PvE and PvP, although it's often outgunned by weapons such as Luna's Howl and Telesto. Shotguns are also particularly dangerous, since players with these weapons can rush and kill the wielder very quickly.
- Eye of Osiris - Equip this Weapon Ornament to change the appearance of Prometheus Lens.
- Prism - Equip this Weapon Ornament to change the appearance of Prometheus Lens.
- Haetae's Judgement - Equip this Weapon Ornament to change the appearance of Prometheus Lens.
- Prismatic Inferno: Fires a solar trace beam and generates a damaging heat field that grows while the weapon continues to fire. Sustained damage applies scorch to the target.
- Chambered Compensator: Stable barrel attachment • Increases stability•Moderately controls recoil•Slightly decreases handling speed.
- Projection Fuse: Distance optimalizations • Increases range.
- Frame Retraction: Kills with this weapon return a fraction ammo used to the magazine, extending the beam's duration.
- Composite Stock: This weapon has a versatile dual-purpose stock • Slightly increases stability • Slightly increases handling speed.
Upon upgrading the weapon, it gains the following perk:
- Incandescent: Final blows with this weapon spreads scorch to nearby targets.
- When it was initially added to the game, the gun had a bug that increased its damage to kill noticeably faster than most other weapons, partially due to the solar damage field generated by the weapon. The bug was more noticeable and effective in PvP, and the discovery of this together with Xûr selling the weapon caused many players to use it during a period that is now commonly referred to as laser tag weekend. This bug was later removed and a lot of people stopped using the weapon as much due to this. It was later commemorated by Bungie with the Prismatic Inferno emblem available to players who completed a Crucible match during this period.
List of appearances