|Political and military information|
Representative of Dead Orbit
- "Dead Orbit only grudgingly maintains a presence in the Tower to arm and outfit their champions in the Crucible."
- —In-game description
Arach Jalaal is an Awoken located within the Tower. He acts as the representative of Dead Orbit, and sells a variety of Dead Orbit-branded armor, weapons, and emblems intended for use in the Crucible.
- "Many years ago, Dead Orbit took me in. They gave me a home, they gave me a vision, they gave me the truth."
- —Arach Jalaal
When he was younger, Jalaal survived as a scavenger. Eventually Dead Orbit took him in and gave him a purpose in life, after which he became convinced in their philosophy and rose through their ranks to Arach.
The Taken War
When Oryx invaded the star system aboard his Dreadnaught, Jalaal was ordered by Commander Zavala to keep Dead Orbit's fleet away from Saturn in case it was needed to defend the City. When Dead Orbit detected a signal from the Cabal being sent out of the system from the Dantalion Exodus VI, Jalaal informed Zavala, who sent a Guardian to investigate the crashed warship. While the Guardian successfully stopped the signal, they confirmed it was a distress call meant for Dominus Ghaul, Emperor of the Cabal Empire. Jalaal and Dead Orbit analyzed the message and reported to Zavala that the signal was received. He placed all of Dead Orbit's deep space assets on alert to watch for a response to the distress signal.
A New Golden Age
Despite Dead Orbit's precautions, the Last City was taken unaware when Ghaul invaded with the Red Legion. Jalaal successfully evacuated the City during the invasion and helped the other survivors. After the City was liberated and the Traveler reawakened, Jalaal returned to the City and attended a meeting of the Consensus, which was now leaderless following the death of the Speaker during the war. Ikora Rey proposed that they create a system to chose a replacement for the Speaker, which Jalaal noted would likely take some time considering the conflicts between all the members of the Consensus. In response to Jalaal's concerns, Zavala declared that until then they would all have to work together to govern the Last City.
Personality and traits
Jalaal is fatalistic, and has a dismissive opinion towards the other factions of the City. He believes that the denizens of Earth must leave the world for a new one, and that the Darkness cannot be stood against.
- "We'll need fighters to get us off this dying world."
- "What good will our possessions do when the Darkness returns?"
- "I pleaded with the Commander. He turned his back on me, so we must do this ourselves."
- "How can we ever leave knowing how many we have left behind?"
- "The Speaker knows the Darkness comes yet the Traveler still doesn't stir; what now?"
- "New Monarchy offers false hope. The War Cult offers despair."
- "I dreamed of the Darkness, swallowing the lights of the City block by block."
- "Earth has had its time. Mourn it, but don't die with it."
- "Children can serve Dead Orbit too. You see, little bodies can crawl in where others can't."
- "Oh it's the children I can't bear to think of. Think of their eyes when the Darkness comes."
- "The New Monarchy offers false hope. No king or queen can stand against the Darkness."
- "What good will the Traveler do when the Darkness comes. It's been silent too long."
- "A Golden Age vault, but deep in a Dead Zone."
- "Let the Executors mark us. We'll see how the ridiculous king fares when the Darkness comes."
- "One by one the stars will go dark, we must outrun this unstoppable tide."
- "If the Executors stand in our way, they will see we are not afraid to fight."
- "A younger world awaits, skies that never have been scarred by the Fallen or the Hive."
- "A whole Golden Age shipyard, but crawling with Fallen."
- "It's not for our sake, but for those who will be born on better worlds."
- "The Fleet is our hope, I don't care what the law says. Take what we need."
- "Darkness spreads across the sky, there's life, somewhere."
- "The Traveler has given all it can. Humanity's future is in our hands."
- "Are you okay there, Guardian?"
- "This Guardian seems paralyzed. I'm not sure what to do."
- "Quickly sister Flynch, strip it before anybody notices."
- " ."
- "What storms may come, we'll ride them out."
- "Are you prepared?"
- "None of us are safe here."
- "You know you are a match for Dead Orbit when you feel you belong in other places, other worlds."
- "Do you hear the stars?"
- "Do not despair."
- "Do you dream of other worlds? Dead Orbit will take you there."
- "There's time yet."
- "Inventory bills are waiting! I will be buried under all this paperwork."
- "Of course we'll win! Do Hideo and Lakshmi know anything about surviving? I have spent my whole life as a scavenger and survivor."
- "Today, we struggle to survive and rebuild under our own star."
- "Join us. We will show you victory, and then the stars."
- Jalaal is familiar with Lord Alfred Tennyson's poetry, as he quotes three lines from Ulysses.
- Jalaal is voiced by Peter Stormare.
List of appearances
- ^ Bungie (2014-6-12), Destiny: Alpha PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard.
- ^ a b Bungie (2017/8/9), Destiny 2: Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, dialogue quote
- ^ Bungie (2015/9/15), Destiny: The Taken King PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, Outbound Signal
- ^ Bungie (2015/9/15), Destiny: The Taken King PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Outbound Signal
- ^ Bungie (2017/5/12), Destiny 2: Curse of Osiris, Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Item Description, Peace by Consensus
- ^ Bungie (2014-9-9), Destiny PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Dead Orbit Faction Rep
- ^ reddit - Arachnid Jalal quotes