Nokris, Herald of Xol
|Nokris, Herald of Xol|
Son of Oryx
- "Hear me, o dreadful worm. We will raise an army. We will die and be reborn in your name, feed you the souls of our enemies."
"State your claim."
"We take Mars. "
- — Nokris to Xol
Nokris, Herald of Xol is a Hive God, and the estranged son of Oryx, the Taken King and the herald of the Worm God, Xol, Will of the Thousands. Exiled by Oryx for his heresies, Nokris later traveled to Mars and was imprisoned in the polar ice by the Warmind Rasputin. 
Nokris was originally the second son of Oryx, younger brother to Crota, but was disfavored by his father for his physical weakness. To make up for that weakness, Nokris instead honed his mind, learning magic and hoarding knowledge. He devised a plan to prove himself to Oryx by communing with the Worm Gods as he once did; however, while he succeeded, most of the worms rejected the disfavored son. Only Xol, Will of the Thousands remained to grant him an audience. Fearing an attack from Yul, the Honest Worm, Xol made a pact with the forgotten child. Nokris traded his heart for some of Xol's power and the secret of necromancy. 
Oryx soon learned about his son's activities and was furious. Nokris's actions were sacrilege, and necromancy was considered a heretical violation of the Sword Logic, for it disrupts the means of survival of the fittest. For his crimes, the King of the Hive exiled him and removed all references of his disowned son from the World's Grave and the Books of Sorrow. Only a statue remained.
Nokris was unperturbed. In exile he saw freedom and opportunity. He informed Xol that he would conquer the planet Mars in his name. After arriving, the two were met with resistance from the Warmind Rasputin, trapping them within the ice of Hellas Basin.
The Taken and Red Wars
- "The name is... Nokris."
- — Ghost
The only reference to Nokris known to the Guardians prior to his awakening on Mars was a statue found in the Dreadnaught near the Altar of Oryx, beside similar statues of Crota and Oryx. The Guardian's Ghost infers it is a Hive god from the accompanying Hive glyphs but couldn't recognize the symbol. At Eris Morn's request, Asher Mir scoured his library for references to Nokris but found none..
War with The Warmind
After the deaths of Oryx and Crota, and the end of the Red War, Nokris and his master were awakened when their entrapping ice began to melt; an effect of the Traveler's waking. Together, they sought the destruction of the Warmind Rasputin for their imprisonment and engaged once more with the Warmind. However, interference came in the form of the Guardian working with Ana Bray. Nokris encountered the Guardian during their mission of using a small shard of the Traveler as bait to lure Xol out and destroy him. However, Nokris faced them instead and fought the Guardian in a fierce battle. Despite his power, Nokris was incinerated by the Guardian, having failed to protect Xol from its destruction.
Nokris is the boss of the Strange Terrain mission and is encountered at Xol's feeding grounds. He fights primarily by firing Solar blasts at the player and occasionally summoning Hive to assist him. Every third part of his health, Nokris will break two of the pillars in the arena and retreat to the gate at the front of the battlefield. Nokris will proceed to shield himself in an immune shield. To break the shield, the player must find the large green rock that came out of one of the two pillars Nokris broke, find the recently resurrected Ugul Gar Knights, kill them, and throw the dropped relic at one of the pillars and then the next to stun Nokris and take down his shield. During the first immunity phase, he will stand still while summoning Hive, during his second phase, he will begin firing darkness blasts at rapid succession, and at his last phase, he will begin moving around the arena, using his Dying Star ability.
The Likeness of Nokris, a Taken bearing the image of Norkis.
- The word "Nokris" might be derived from "Noctuidae", which is a family of moth, the wing patterns of which resemble the Shroud of Flies Hunter Cloak pattern. Similarly, "Nokri" is a Hebrew word for "alien" or "adulteress". Relatedly, the prefix "Nok" could be a derivation of "Noc", or "Nocturnal", the Greek Goddess of the night; similarly, the Roman translation is "Nox".
- Nokris is the very first wizard to be a male.
- Unlike his brother and father, Nokris doesn't speak to the Guardians directly.
- Nokris bears a stronger resemblance to his father Oryx than Crota, who barely resembles him.
- Nokris's initial Solar attack bears a resemblance to the Acolyte's grenade attack.
- To date, Nokris and his sect are the only known Hive which have been permanently expunged from the rest of their kin.
- It is possible that Nokris may still be alive in a throne world, due to him being a Hive God.
- Due to him creating his own sword logic after denouncing his father’s, it is unclear if he possesses one through it.
- However, as Mara Sov created a Throne World of her own without the use of the Sword Logic, it remains possible that Nokris possess one but it remains unknown as no evidence or mentioning exists at this time.
List of appearances
- The Taken King (First mentioned)
- Destiny 2 (Mentioned only)
- Bungie (2015/9/15), Destiny: The Taken King Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Ghost: Ishtar Collective - Ghost Scan: Nokris
- Bungie (2015/9/15), Destiny: The Taken King Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard
- Bungie - Destiny 2 Narrative Preview
- Destiny the Game - Expansion Pass 2
- Bungie (2018/8/5), Destiny 2: Warmind Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Wormhusk Crown
- Bungie (2018/8/5), Destiny 2: Warmind Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Wormgod Caress
- Bungie (2018/8/5), Destiny 2: Warmind Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Verity's Brow
- Bungie (2015/9/15), Destiny: The Taken King Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Regicide
- Bungie (2017/8/9), Destiny: PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, Gensym Knight
- Bungie (2014/12/9), Destiny: The Dark Below Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Item Description, Shroud of Flies
- Bible Hub, Strong's Hebrew: 5237. נָכְרִי (nokri) -- foreign, alien