|Political and military information|
Iron Banner handler
- "I am the lone sentry. And my watch is eternal."
- — Saladin Forge
Lord Saladin Forge is a Titan Guardian and one of two known survivors of the original Iron Lords. He was one of the founders of the Iron Lords and helped end the Dark Age of Risen Warlords to establish the City Age. However, most of his comrades perished in a battle to contain SIVA, causing Saladin to dedicate his life to maintaining a watch on the Plaguelands to ensure SIVA never emerged again while also fighting to protect The Last City from threats. In time, he established the Iron Banner to keep the memory of the fallen Iron Lords alive and train the new Guardians in the ways of old. When the House of Devils uncovered SIVA and unleashed it upon the Cosmodrome, Saladin worked with The Young Wolf to end the threat of SIVA for good and begin a new generation of Iron Lords.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Wares
- 3 Personality and Traits
- 4 Quotes
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Gallery
- 7 List of appearances
- 8 References
Lord of Iron
Rise of the Iron Lords
- "Why in the Traveler’s crack did you wish to fight an actual DRAGON, old man?"
"We are knights, Lady Efrideet. Do you not want to be a dragon slayer?"
- — Efrideet and Saladin after encountering an Ahamkara
Saladin was found and raised by his Ghost during the Dark Age, at which point most of humanity was scattered and lived under the ruthless rule of other Lightbearers who had become Warlords. Saladin befriended three other Risen who did not follow the Warlords path; Radegast, Jolder, and Perun. Together under Radegast's leadership they hid from the Warlords in isolated communities and feared other Lightbearers, and only occasionally struck against the oppressive rulers. When the mining community they were staying at was assaulted by five Warlords, Saladin and the others fought and killed them, but the civilians they sheltered with were all killed in ensuring battled. As they buried the bodies, Saladin listened as Radegast declared they could no longer live in fear of the Warlords and must become Guardians of the people, gathering likeminded Risen to aid them. While Jolder and Perun suggested recruiting Bretomart and Deidris, Saladin told Radegast he trusted only him. Together, they declared themselves the Iron Lords and vowed to bring an end to the rule of the Warlords.
Sometime after Saladin recruited Efrideet into the Iron Lords, they encountered an Ahamkara, which were able to grant wishes. Saladin wished to fight a dragon, which transformed the creature into a giant dragon that breathed fire. While Efrideet stayed back and fired on the creature with her rifle, Saladin closed in with his Iron Battle Axe to fight the dragon like a knight of old. He wounded the creature several times while dodging its flames, but his axe soon began to melt from the heat, although he judged it still had enough edge to cut the beast. Efrideet tried to get him to reconsider his strategy and questioned why he had wished to fight a dragon. Grinning under his helmet, he shouted back that they were knights and he wanted to be a dragon slayer. Leaping at the roaring creature once more, Saladin yelled to his companion that they were what they survived.
Fall of the Iron Lords
- "A battle was won. Heroes died. And our mistakes stayed here."
- — Saladin Forge
Eventually, Saladin and his comrades discovered SIVA, a self-replicating nanotechnology created during the Golden Age. They believed it could be used to aid them in protecting humanity, but it turned against them. Unable to destroy the techno-virus, the Iron Lords sealed it beneath the earth. However, the virus claimed the Iron Lords, and Saladin was one of the only two to survive.
Defender of the Last City
During the Battle of Twilight Gap Saladin led the City's defense during the battle, alongside his students Lord Shaxx and Commander Zavala. Though he remains on good terms with Zavala, his relationship with Shaxx has become strained due to his defiance of orders during the battle, where he instead led a counterattack on the Fallen, pushing them off the City's walls.
One year after the events of the Taken War, the Fallen and the House of Devils managed to unearth SIVA, and their Splicers tried to harness the technology. Unable to defeat the mutant Devils on his own, Saladin began seeking out Guardians to help him form a new generation of the Iron Lords to end the threat of SIVA once and for all.
After guiding the Guardian into the Plaguelands and deep into Site 6 in order to shut down SIVA, remnants of the Iron Lords twisted by the technovirus attack in defense of the SIVA production chamber. After destroying the remnants and the chamber, the Guardian returns to Felwinter Peak, where Saladin gifts them a newly forged sword and names them the first of a new generation of Iron Lords.
Return to the Last City
After the Red War, Lord Saladin would return to the new Tower to once again host the Iron Banner tournament, having previously tasked Efrideet to do so during the SIVA Crisis. Saladin recently also displays distaste for Osiris due to his infamous exile of the Last City, and also further explaining that it was Ikora Rey who reformed the Warlock order, not Osiris. After Rasputin was awakened on Mars and declared itself the guardian of humanity and the solar system, Saladin expressed deep concern for the situation. He told the Young Wolf that if it were up to him, the Vanguard would destroy the warmind.
He used to be found in the Traveler's Walk area of the Tower, and sold gear in exchange for Glimmer and Iron Banner Reputation. He re-forged weapons for Motes of Light. The Weekly Bungie's actual weapons and armor available tend to change from each event. His duties was taken over by Lady Efrideet, and the Iron Banner was at the Iron Temple on Felwinter Peak. Saladin himself would return to take charge of the event after the Red War.
|0||"Tempering" Buff (1 Mote of Light)|
|1||"Sigil of the Iron Lords" Emblem (7500 glimmer)|
|2||"Million Million" Shader (2400 glimmer)|
|3||Armor (9950 glimmer), "Scar of Radegast" Emblem (7500 glimmer)|
|4||Special or Heavy Weapon (11500 glimmer), Class Item (4500 glimmer)|
|5||Primary Weapon (11500 glimmer), "Goldspiral" Shader (7500 glimmer)|
Personality and Traits
Stoic, serious and experienced yet somber and grim are the best words to describe Lord Saladin. From the day he became a Iron Lord, Saladin takes his purpose and duty in protecting the survivors of the Collapse with complete dedication, becoming a pillar of a what a Titan and Guardian should be. Saladin believes in the code the Iron Lords stood for in using their Traveler-given abilities to protect and serve, not to conquer as the Warlords did. However, as a result of his experiences and losses, Saladin has been hardened from them all. Despite being famously serious, Saladin does have moments of humor, mostly with old friends like Efrideet.
Beneath his stoicism lies a deep sadness and guilt over the deaths of his fellow Iron Lords at the hands of SIVA. He was particularly close to the Iron Lord's leader, Radagast, who became his mentor while Jolder became his closest companion among the Iron Lords. Upon their deaths, he hoped to that he would never have to revisit his past but continued to honor their legacy with the Iron Banner tournament and with the threat of the Devil Splicers, he realized that the danger was greater than keeping the full story of the Iron Lords and SIVA a secret. However, with the help of the Guardian, he was able to make peace with what had happened and relieve centuries of burden.
With the Guardian, he at first saw them as a promising student that needed training but of course he makes sure that they stay humble and focused. Saladin's respect and praise for the Guardian would grow throughout the SIVA Crisis, dubbing them the first of a new generation of Iron Lords, the title of Lord Guardian and the name of Young Wolf.
Much like his own students, Saladin has a prideful, stubborn streak, as he normally doesn't back down from a fight and doesn't apologize easily. While he maintains a friendship with Zavala, Saladin has a shaky relationship with Shaxx at best for both refuse to make amends over the issue that divided them. However, like Shaxx, Saladin respects all the classes of Guardians.
Saladin's Induction Speech
"Nothing born is born strong.
"I know I began weak, the same as you. I don't care if you're an Exo, staring at that number and wondering where you've come from. Or a Human hungry to understand the ancient world that left you for dead. Or an Awoken reborn in the very essence of what your people hide from. Together, we're the pointed end of a long stick of happenstance. Change one ripple in an ancient ocean and we would never have been granted the Light within us, or the good Ghosts that want to help us.
"Every world begins as a big pebble lost among trillions of pebbles. Every worthy sun was once cold hydrogen spread thin across the vacuum. Even the universe, this cosmic garden that surrounds us and awes us... this monument to Creation was once the size of an apple seed. And everything that's splendid and great stands at the end of incalculable chance and mayhem.
"Yes, you have talents. Enormous, wondrous powers. But you should put the smirk away. Do you know what a Guardian is? Not yet. Your name is another pebble. You are a cold apple seed.
"But you will grow."
- "Are you up to the challenge?"
- "Have you been tested?"
- "The Iron Banner offers much suffering, but equal reward."
- "Odds are you are not ready for the Iron Banner."
- "Let the Iron Banner shape you."
- "Have you proved yourself... worthy?"
- "Only the strongest need prove themselves to the Iron Banner"
- "Your Light will be tested, Guardian... and you will be stronger for it."
- "Until we meet again, Guardian"
- "The weak-willed need not apply."
- "You have never been tested like this."
- "No games. No sympathy. Just survival."
- "We recognize strength, Guardian."
- "Simply finishing isn't enough if you want to reap the best rewards, Guardian. Prove yourself."
Standing next to him
- "If the Splicers are seeking godhood, I doubt this will end with SIVA."
- "The Iron Lords couldn't contain SIVA. It falls to the Guardians now."
- "Even with SIVA at their command, the Fallen stood no chance against the Young Wolf."
- "Is the Vanguard looking for fireteams? My schedule is free tomorrow."
- "Radegast, after all those years, our mission is finally over. And I still wonder what you would say."
- "During the Dark Age, Lord Silimar and I built this Temple amidst an endless war."
- "The Iron Lords left an oath unfulfilled. Guardians will see it through."
- "SIVA is contained. And hope lives. And I thought my vigil would be eternal."
- "Our light is all that will sustain us against SIVA."
- "Hell's lose in Old Russia. I pray the City isn't next."
- "Skorri, SIVA has come again. My Axe will sing in your stead."
- "The Iron Lords couldn't contain SIVA, it falls to the Guardians now."
- "Rest easy, Radegast, SIVA's burden is ours to bear now."
- "My vigil has ended. For the first time in centuries, tomorrow is unwritten."
- "In the Dark Age, I lacked the audacity to dream of peace. This Temple was supposed to be the beginning."
- "You look uncertain. I'll say to you what Lady Perun said to me on the eve of my first battle: Do not let your fears define you."
- "Skorri, I won't sing in your place, but at least I can hear the Iron Song again."
- "The burden of the Iron Lords have been lifted, and the Guardians can once again march under a familiar Light. An Iron Banner."
- "Splicers aren't unique to the Devils. We can only hope the other Houses do not find inspiration in what has transpired here."
- "Fallen machines joined with SIVA? I don't envy the new generation for what they must face."
- "SIVA is one of the many threats I hoped this planet would never see again."
- "So many seek to destroy us, The Devil Splicers, the Taken. Let them come. They face Saladin Forge renewed."
- "The Splicers' Prime was beaten, but its followers remain a threat. We must be ready."
- "The Guardians will learn from this. If they survive."
- "Lady Skorri wrote the Iron Song behind this walls. Sadly, I can't remember how it goes."
- "Some of the Splicers have set aside Servitor-worship to become gods themselves. SIVA is a terrifying enabler."
- "I will leave it to Shiro the details of what happened here. The truth deserve someone more... objective."
- "Shiro's reports says Splicer control of SIVA was improving. Worrisome..."
- "The Devils will seek out other SIVA caches. We must be there when they do."
- "Tyra can ask for whatever she wants. One does not host academic functions within the Iron Temple."
- "What now? The Cabal on Mars? The Vex across time? I'll crush them all."
- "This won't be the end. The Devil Splicers add Fallen to their ranks every moment."
- "The songs that Skorri would've written for you would have set the sky ablaze."
- "Humanity believed that everything we encountered hung between the Light and the Darkness. Then, we encountered SIVA."
- "Warlock! Your Light is a weapon. Let me see its glory."
- "You are strong, Titan, but can you be fast?
- "With our victory in the vault, our Light has drawn a hard border on the spread of SIVA."
Running/Sliding next to him
- "I know you're fast, Hunter. Prove you are tough."
- "Will your Light prove its swiftness, Hunter?"
- "You are destined to face SIVA again. Make sure your Light is ready."
- "Your Light must never relent. The Devil Splicers will return."
Iron Banner (Destiny 2)
- "Iron Banner Control."
- "In the Dark Age, we called this 'fun'." - when picking up Power Ammo
- "This isn't over until Shaxx sings. And he is very shy."
- "Do you like it better when Lord Shaxx oversees these matches? So do I. A busy Shaxx, is a quiet Shaxx."
- "Die! Die! Di-(cough) Sorry. I've been watching too many Iron Banner matches. What time is it? Shaxx? Shaxx, are you there? Can you get me a water? Stop yelling, it's just a question. I'm not old!"
- "Your weapon defines you!" - when picking up Power Ammo
- "Rasputin is not to be trusted. That Warmind will do anything to get what it needs. Felwinter hoped Rasputin would help us. That hope costs me my brothers and sisters in arms: the Iron Lords. I will not abide losing you, Guardian. If it were up to me, we'd be at all-out war with Rasputin. But my time to lead is over. Our future is in your hands. Show me how you've grown. The Iron Banner will prepare you for what's coming."
- Saladin was historically a Kurdish sultan of the 12th century.
- A replica of Saladin's battle axe was created by the blacksmith company Sword and the Stone.
- Before Destiny 2, announcements in the Iron Banner were done by Lord Shaxx. Now, Saladin takes that responsibility.
- Should a player obtain a "We Ran Out of Medals" medal in an Iron Banner match in Destiny 2, Saladin will blurt out, "Die! Die! Die!", the same line said by Reaper in Overwatch when using his Ultimate as the two characters are played by the same actor .
- Saladin and Reaper share the same voice actor, Keith Ferguson.
List of appearances
- Destiny (First appearance)
- Destiny 2
- Bungie (2016-9-20), Destiny: Rise of Iron PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, King of the Mountain
- Bungie (2016/9/20), Destiny: Rise of Iron Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Lord Radegast
- Bungie (2018/9/4), Destiny 2: Forsaken, Playstation 4, Activision Blizzard, Transfiguration
- Destiny: Rise of Iron Trailer
- Bungie.net: Rise of Iron
- Bungie (2014-9-9), Destiny, PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Iron Banner Rep
- Bungie (2016-9-20), Destiny: Rise of Iron PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, The Iron Tomb
- Bungie (2016-9-20), Destiny: Rise of Iron PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, The Iron Tomb
- Bungie (2014-7-17), Destiny: Beta PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard.
- Update- 10/24/2014
- Bungie (2014-9-9), Destiny, PlayStation 4, Activision Blizzard, Grimoire: Abilities
- reddit - Lord Saladin Forge NPC dialogue
- YouTube - Destiny 2 Overwatch Easter Egg: Saladin "Die Die Die" We Ran Out of Medals
- YouTube - Destiny 2 Warmind: Lord Saladin's Commentary on Rasputin
- Gamespot - Game of Thrones Heavily Influenced Destiny's New Expansion
- IMDB - Keith Ferguson