The Sunless Cell
|The Sunless Cell|
1 - 3
|Destinypedia has a walkthrough guide to this level, The Sunless Cell. See The Sunless Cell/Walkthrough.|
The Sunless Cell is a Level 36 Strike available in The Taken King. Deep within the Dreadnaught, Oryx's Darkblade, Alak-Hul is found imprisoned, never having seen the light for countless years for his defiance to Oryx. The main task is to kill one of Oryx's former lieutenants before he rises against the king.
Guardians must delve deep into the Dreadnaught, navigating to the cell of the Darkblade, and destroy him before he can take the vacant throne left by Oryx's death.
- Find the Darkblade
- Enter the Hive Prison
- Unseal the Doors
- Eliminate the Hive
- Defeat the Taken
- Track the Darkblade
- Enter the Darkblade's Cell
- Enter the Circle
- Defeat the Darkblade
- ERIS: Some creatures of the Hive strain against the Will of Oryx. Alak-Hul, the Darkblade is one such. Long ago he fomented rebellion against the King, and attempted to take his mantle. Alak-Hul failed, and now awaits the 'mercy' of the Hive. Given the chance, the Darkblade will step in to take Oryx's crown. We must not allow another Prince to rise.
- ERIS: The Darkblade suffers his judgement in the depths of a Hive prison. I am feeding an energy marker to your Ghost. It will lead you to his cell.
The fireteam heads into the Founts, where they are attacked by Hive. They make their way through, killing Thrall, Acolytes and Wizards along the way. A door on the far side of the prison opens, leading the Guardians to a large open sanctum. Two towers sit on opposing sides, as floating platforms rotate around each shrine. A Shrieker guards each tower.
- ERIS: I can sense a powerful incantation... Hive runes hold the far door shut.
- GHOST: My scan says the runes draw energy from those towers. If you get me over there, I can hack them and open the door.
One Guardian reaches the tower on the right, and another heads left. They each send their Ghost to scan a rune. The Shriekers open and attack, and Hive reinforcements pour in through the center.
- GHOST: The spell is getting weaker. Let's get to the other battery!
Once both runes are eliminated, the trio regroups in the middle to eradicate the rest of the Hive. Once they do, the far door opens, revealing a large group of Taken inside. The fireteam fights in the small room against larger and larger squadrons, finally revealing their lieutenant, Urlot, the Trampler. The Guardians kill him, and the door behind him opens, revealing an Ogre. They either destroy it or escape, running down a bridge to the Hanging Crypts.
- GHOST: We're on the right track. Alak-Hul's energy marker is getting stronger.
- ERIS: Find the Darkblade... (firmly) finish this.
Seven Hive Shriekers occupy the far side of the Taken cemetery, making direct attacks a fool's errand. The Guardians destroy the Shriekers and fight their way through a Taken squadron. They eventually reach a hanging bridge. An immense group of Thrall stampede the long way across.
- GHOST: I think this is going well!
- ERIS: Then you do not know what you face. The Darkblade is formidable. And left unchecked, a worthy successor to lead the Hive. Dawn has not come... it hasn't been dark enough yet.
- GHOST: That's... very encouraging...
- GHOST: Eris, why did the Darkblade rise against Oryx?
- ERIS: The Wizard Verok was his mate. He slew a legion of Thralls in her name. Marched on the King's throne, at the head of an army built on hate and pain.
- GHOST: (flatly) How... romantic.
- GHOST: Eris, why does Oryx have a prison?
- ERIS: "Prison" is the wrong term. He holds his victims, tortures them, then renders them down into chitin for his ship.
- GHOST: (sarcastically) Chitin. Lovely.
The fireteam reaches the end of the bridge, and walks to the end of a ledge. The view is pitch black, and the cell seemingly looks bottomless.
- GHOST: Nothing left now... but the drop.
- ERIS: Your fate lies below. Embrace it.
- GHOST: You first.
The Guardians drop into the pit, finding it to be completely dark. Save for four spires in the center, a few cores strewn about, and some sparse debris, the area is empty. Suddenly, thudding footsteps are heard.
- ERIS: The Darkblade... I sense him.
- ERIS: Alak-Hul is near.
- ERIS: Alak-Hul... he is hunting you.
Within the Darkness, the trio of Guardians discover and open fire upon Alak-Hul's massive body as he drags an enormous two-handed axe with him. Thrall and Cursed Thrall surround the cramped fireteam, even further limiting their line of sight. The Darkblade uses the blackness to his advantage, disappearing and reappearing at will. Eventually, he suffers too much damage, and becomes enraged as his large helmet splits open, revealing his skull and brain. Alak-Hul flies into a rampage, breaking into a sprint towards the Guardians, and swinging his axe even harder. The Guardians stand firm, however and destroy him. The cell turns quiet now.
- ERIS: (sighs pleasurably) Yeesss... May his dark soul go screaming into the pit between the stars.
- ERIS: The creatures of the Hive are treacherous... vicious. But they can still fall to infighting. To... petty distractions of the flesh. (chuckles darkly) That is why we must rise above, Guardian. It is the only way we will survive the long night.
- ERIS: With none left to lead in Oryx's wake, the Taken will languish, decay... but they will not die away. You have given us time—time to recover...to bury the dead...and make ready for the next shadow on the horizon.
- ERIS: A pretender to the crown is dead. Know this, Guardian: Alak-Hul was there... when we went down into the pit. What you have done... you have done in their names: Toland, Sai Mota, Omar, Eriana-3, Vell Tarlowe.
- ^ GameInformer: Destiny: The Taken King's New Approach To Storytelling
- ^ Youtube: Destiny The Taken King Infosplosion: Level 40, New Quest System - Game Informer Reveal