From Destinypedia, the Destiny wiki
Wyverns are bipedal Vex units, with double-jointed legs ending in clawed feet. Their most notable feature is a pair of fan-like appendages wreathed in glowing blue tentacles similar to Harpies, which project a shield on either side.
Wyverns make their first appearance on Europa and can be found in various activities such Strikes, Empire Hunts, Missions, Patrols, Lost Sectors, and the Spire Integration Public Event. Shielded variants appear on Nessus in Battlegrounds. They also make a non-canon appearance in the Vault of Glass as Sacrificial Wyverns and feature prominently in Override activities.
Wyverns appear to be a hybrid of a Minotaur and a Harpy and have two forms. They battle in their bipedal form and occasionally switch to their aerial Harpy-like form to hover in the air and hurtle downward an aerial slam. The force of this attack can push all nearby non-Vex away and deals Arc damage.
They are highly durable and equipped with two shotgun-like Warp Lance turrets mounted on their bodies. This fires cross-shaped Void blasts that split into five smaller projectiles. They are also unique for fan-shaped appendages on either side, which if shot will create a shield to protect any Vex units behind it, though they can still shoot through it.
Wyverns also possess a covering for the front of their Radiolaria core which can be tricky to expose, but achievable. By shooting its purple Warp Lance turrets near its eyes, Wyverns are briefly staggered to expose their core. This then grants players the opportunity to deal critical damage against Wyverns. Stasis elemental damage can also expose their core. The core is always exposed from the Wyvern's back.
They are also capable of a quick bite-like lunge attack. While not doing much damage compared to their warp lances, its speed and unexpectedness can cause a careless foe to be quickly punished for trying to get in past the Wyvern's guns.
- Common Variants
- Malignant Wyvern - Major Wyvern
- Precursor Malignant Wyvern - Major Wyvern of the Precursors
- Quantum Wyvern - Elite Wyvern
- Specific Variants
- Architect Wyvern
- Digital Variant Neutralizer
- Digital Variant Tracker
- Gatekeeper Wyvern
- Harbinger Wyvern
- Incursion Countermeasure
- Intrusion Detector
- Sacrificial Wyvern
A Wyvern engaging a Guardian
- Like most Vex, Wyverns are named after a mythological creature; wyverns are winged, two-legged dragon-like creatures featured in medieval European legends.
- Wyverns are the first new Vex enemy type added since Destiny 1.
- This may show that the Vex are now beginning to use their warrior frames as oppose to builder frames due to how combat-oriented wyverns seem to be. Emperor Calus notes that the Vex previously encountered by the Guardians are "farmers, engineers and managers" and laughs at the idea of when the Vex will send their "real warriors".
- For an unknown reason, Rhulk, Disciple of the Witness has similar sounds to a Wyvern's gravity slam while using his Savage Strikes in the Vow of the Disciple Raid.
List of appearances
- Destiny 2