From Destinypedia, the Destiny wiki
Champions are special boss type enemies introduced in Shadowkeep. They appear in Heroic of higher difficulty content, such as Nightfalls or elected Lost Sectors, seasonal activities, raids starting from Garden of Salvation onwards in Destiny 2, and rarely in other activities. They are units who have been "touched" by the Darkness. Saint-14 stated that they were tricky enemies that he had fought multiple times in the Infinite Forest.
Champions come in three varieties; Barrier, Overload, and Unstoppable. A given enemy race has a Champion for two of the three types, and can be easily identified by red, tendril-like growths and dark coloration. These come in a crown shape for Barrier Champions, double horn shape for Unstoppable Champions, and two circles around the head and torso for Overload Champions.
- Barrier Champions behave much like their normal counterparts would until they are at one third of their health. When damaged to one third, they will create an impenetrable dome shield that also heals up most of their lost health.
- Overload Champions not only have an advanced healing factor, but they also have increased ability regeneration, allowing them to use these abilities more frequently and aggressively.
- Unstoppable Champions have a severely high damage reduction and an immunity to staggering or stuns, and will use these resiliences to allow them to aggressively assail their opponents in close range.
Each type of Champion has a corresponding type of player weapon or ability that can be used to counter their special attribute. They will stun the Champion temporarily and will notify all nearby players with a sound and a text prompt. Anti-Champion capability can be most easily acquired through the current Seasonal Artifact with unlockable weapon mods and class ability mods equipped on armor. Some Exotic weapons also have intrinsic Anti-Champion capabilities such as Wish-Ender.
- Anti-Barrier effect are the only way to damage a Barrier Champion's shield using shield-piercing effect. They will also bypass defenses such as those utilized by Phalanxes and Hydras and do extra damage to Titan Barricades in PvP modes. Anti-barrier mods will generally always be active.
- Anti-Overload effects require concentrated fire to disable Overload Champion abilities in a process referred to as disruption. They will also decrease the damage output and ability use of other enemies and delay PvP opponent ability regeneration. Overload abilities take effect immediately. Overload weapons will generally activate after rapidly firing the weapon.
- Anti-Unstoppable effects are the only thing that can stagger Unstoppable Champions and remove their damage reduction. They will also stagger other unshielded enemies, possibly making them flinch with every hit, and sometimes produce an explosive effect capable of splash damage, but otherwise increase damage. Unstoppable weapon mods will generally activate after aiming down sights for a brief period.
List of Champions
- These enemies appear to be imbued with Darkness-derived powers, indicated by the red-black tendrils and aura rising from their shoulders.
- These enemies emit a dark gas from its body, similar to Qodron, and the Eschaton Mind, Imminent Mind, and Primeval Mind.
- The Scorn never had any champions until Season of the Lost.
List of appearances
- Destiny 2
- ^ Bungie (2019/10/01), Destiny: Console, They Were the Champions
- ^ Stem the Dark
- ^ Strickly Enforced