Marathon is a video game series developed by Bungie. A first-person shooter, it is the spiritual predecessor to the Halo franchise, and takes place in the same universe as Bungie's earlier game, Pathways Into Darkness.
There are three games in the Marathon series:
List of references to Marathon in the Destiny series
- Tycho is a location in Destiny. An AI in Marathon is named likewise.
- The Fate of All Fools gets its name from the phrase, "the just fate of fools," which the AI Durandal carves into a planet's surface in Latin after destroying Tycho.
- The Duke MK.44 bears resemblance to the .44 Magnum.
- Fusion rifles operate on a similar principle to the Zeus fusion pistol.
- A patrol mission that can be obtained in areas where the Fallen roam is named "Low-Flying Defense Drones". "Beware of Low-Flying Defense Drones" is the name of a Marathon campaign level.
- Manus Celer Dei is the name of the ship Durandal used to return to Earth in the second game. It also happens to be a player ship in Destiny.
- The Almighty bears a striking conceptual resemblance to the Trih Xeem in which the pfhor empire uses as a last resort to quell revolts of subjugated races by igniting early supernovas.
- The MIDA Mini-Tool lore tab appears to both reference and expand upon Marathons backstory. The MIDA-Mini-Tool lore tab features a first person narrative that references Battleroids and reveals that Bernard Strauss was able to salvage an ancient A.I construct from a ship that crashed on Mars. Additionally the name MIDA itself is likely a reference to the MIDA revolutionary government that temporarily occupied Mars.