September 9, 2014
Destiny is an upcoming massively multiplayer first-person shooter video game developed by Bungie, set for release on September 9, 2014 for the Xbox One, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3. .
Unlike typical FPS games, Destiny will feature role-playing elements and as such has been likened to "World of Warcraft in space," while Bungie refers to it as a "shared world shooter." It has been reported that sequels will be released every two years through 2020, with downloadable "Comet" expansions released in the years between the main Destiny titles.
- 1 Premise
- 2 Gameplay
- 3 Limited editions
- 4 Expansions and bonus content
- 5 Marketing
- 6 Trailers
- 7 Development
- 8 Awards
- 9 Gallery
- 10 External links
- 11 References
Destiny is set in the 28th century in a post-apocalyptic setting. Humans had spread and colonized the Solar System with the help of a spherical entity known simply as "the Traveler" who reshaped planets and moons, and taught humanity new technologies and mystical powers that led to a time later called the Golden Age. An event known as "The Collapse", an attack from the Darkness, an unknown faction or entity, saw the dissolution of these colonies and left mankind on the brink of extinction. The only known survivors of the Collapse are those living on Earth, who were saved by the Traveler. The Traveler hovers above the last remaining human city as a large spherical body, and its presence gives the Guardians of the City—the last defenders of the human race—the ability to wield an unknown power.
Upon mankind's first attempt to repopulate and reconstruct after the Collapse, it was discovered that hostile alien races have occupied mankind's former colonies and civilizations. The player takes on the role of a Guardian of the City, and is tasked with investigating and destroying these threats before the remnants of humanity are completely wiped out.
Destiny includes the following game modes:
- Story Mission: 1-3 player activities, tie in with the main arc of the campaign.
- Strike: 3 player activities based on gathering loot.
- Explore: General team-based exploration based on gathering of resources.
- Raid: 6 player missions of high challenge.
- Crucible: Player vs. player gameplay.
- Public Event: Optional cooperative multiplayer events that are dynamically generated in the game world. Can occur during Strikes or Exploration.
- Main article: Destiny Ghost Edition
The Destiny Ghost Edition is the second-tier physical limited edition of Destiny; includes a Ghost replica, Golden Age relics, a letter, Steelbook, folio of story-based material and the Destiny Expansion Pass - as well as extra digital content.
|“||This is your Ghost. It sought you out for centuries. It found you, dead and forgotten in the ruins of our civilization’s violent Collapse, and it brought you back to life to protect us all. Defend our home, drive back the forces of Darkness, find a way to awaken the Traveler, and Become Legend.||”|
- Main article: Destiny Limited Edition
The Destiny Limited Edition is the first-tier physical limited edition of Destiny; includes a Steelbook, folio of story-based material and the Destiny Expansion Pass - as well as extra digital content.
|“||Humanity has been searching the ruins of our Golden Age for Guardians – heroes capable of wielding Light as a weapon. You have just been found and given a vital mission: defend our home, drive back the forces of Darkness, find a way to awaken the Traveler, and Become Legend.||”|
Digital Guardian Edition
The Destiny Digital Guardian Edition is a digital only bundle; it includes a digital copy of Destiny, early access to Vanguard armory, the Destiny Expansion Pass and aforementioned digital content.
Expansions and bonus content
All three limited edition bundles were announced to ship with the Destiny Expansion Pass
A Comet expansion pack for Destiny is expected to be released in 2014. Owners of the Playstation 4 version will receive timed exclusive content. The game will have different pre-order bonuses.
- Main article: Destiny Alpha
The Destiny Alpha, a closed Destiny alpha test accessed by signing up after E3 2014, was live between June 12 and June 15, 2014 for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 platforms only.
- Main article: Destiny Beta
The Destiny Beta will be a public Destiny beta test, accessed by pre-ordering the game from selected retailers. The beta will be released on July 17, 2014 for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 platforms, while Xbox One and Xbox 360 access will begin on July 23, 2014. The beta will end for all platforms on July 27, 2014. 
Alternate reality games
- Main article: Alpha Lupi
Alpha Lupi is the alternate reality game (ARG) that began on February 11, 2013, to herald the announcement and reveal of Destiny. Over the course of seven days, a forum account run by Bungie released cryptic images and messages to be solved by the community prior to the Febraury 17th public release of Destiny information.
Final results of the ARG, once solved included an mp3 track by Marty O'Donnell as the background music and a completed image of the entire solved puzzle.
Pathways Out of Darkness
- Main article: Destiny ViDoc: Pathways Out of Darkness
The Pathways Out of Darkness ViDoc was released February 17, 2013. It is named in reference to Bungie's earliest first-person shooter, and first commercial success, Pathways Into Darkness.
PlayStation 4 Official Announcement
- Main article: Destiny PlayStation 4 Official Announcement
PlayStation 4 Official Announcement was released February 21, 2013, detailing its release on PlayStation 4 and featuring more in-game material.
- Main article: Destiny Character Development
Character Development was released March 28, 2013. It was shown in Bungie's GDC 2013 presentation. This video provides a glimpse into the character art, development, and design of Destiny -- from early sketches and concept art, to animation and in-engine 3D character models.
The Law Of The Jungle
- Main article: The Law Of The Jungle
The Law Of The Jungle was released May 23, 2013. The trailer shows a Guardian recalling the moment when he was first taught the most important lesson of all – The Law of the Jungle.
Out Here in the Wild
- Main article: Destiny ViDoc: Out Here in the Wild
Out Here in the Wild was the second Destiny ViDoc and was released on August 22, 2013. It is named in reference to the Crow's dialogue in the trailer.
The Devils' Lair
- Main article: The Devils' Lair
This gameplay trailer was released on April 28, 2014.
When designing Destiny, Bungie wanted to push themselves away from their Halo series. While Halo gravitated towards the "hard" side of the sci-fi spectrum, Destiny was designed to be "mythic science fiction"—a world rooted in science, but with fantastical elements. Originally it was more akin to pure fantasy, with designs for knights, swords and sorcery in a white city on a hill. However, the designers thought they were denying themselves as per their preference for science fiction, so they decided to incorporate the elements together.
There will be online matchmaking as confirmed by Bungie in the Mail Sack. 
|2014||Most Anticipated Shooter Game by IGN readers||Won|
The cut Tiger Man.
- Official Destiny site
- Destiny on Bungie.net
- Destiny's Official Facebook page
- Destiny's Official Instagram
- Destiny's Official Youtube channel
- ^ a b c d e f IGN: Bungie's Destiny Story Details, Concept Art Leaked
- ^ a b Destiny the Game.com: Where to Buy
- ^ a b Bungie.net: Destiny Launch Date
- ^ a b c Eurogamer: Bungie's MMO style sci-fi FPS Destiny out 2013 as an Xbox 360, next Xbox timed exclusive
- ^ IGN -DESTINY COMING TO PLAYSTATION 4
- ^ Game Informer January 2014, page 52
- ^ NBC News, Halo creators working their Destiny
- ^ Gamezone.com Sony: Exclusive Destiny content coming to PS4, similar to Call of Duty with Xbox One
- ^ Bungie.net, The Last Mail Sack
- ^ PlayStation: - PlayStation Greatness Awaits Destiny Alpha Registration and Info
- ^ Bungie: The Destiny Beta
- ^ IGN: Destiny Beta Comes First to PS3 and PS4
- ^ IGN: Destiny: How Halo Got The Star Wars Treatment
- ^ http://www.bungie.net/7_A-Sound-Proof-Mail-Sack/en/News/News?aid=11078